VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by k24a1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've wanted to mess with the original PC release of Glover from 1998 on older hardware but it seems to require some VERY specific GPUs, and I even believe it uses specific drivers for them too.
Here's a list taken from a read-me file that I believe came with it (but this is also accurate to what the game gives you in terms of configuration options):

2-1-1
3-D cards that Glover supports:
3dFX Voodoo Chipset
Orchid Righteous 3D and II
Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Voodoo 2
Diamond Monster 3D and Monster II
Jazz Renegade 3D
STB Blackmagic 3D
STB Velocity 128 (riva 128)
Diamond Viper 330 (riva 128)
Rendition 1000
Hercules Thriller 3D (Rendition 2000)
Permedia2
Matrox G200
Intel i740
ATI Rage Pro
Matrox Mystique

As we all know very well, a lot of cards on this list are very hard to find for a good price, and just don't fit well in a nicer Windows 98 PC. I don't have working units of most of these cards and when I did test them I could not select other options besides the Lo and Hi detail software rendering mode options for some odd reason. I tried re-installing, checking registry files, and going through directories... but no dice. What I'm mainly curious about is if it is possible to run the game with full 3D acceleration without the need of an API emulator/frontend like dgVoodoo and/or if it can run on slightly newer cards with 3D acceleration (like the Rage 128, which axed ATI 3D CIF entirely...). Not all 9x systems can run dgVoodoo in my experience as it seems to require at least DX7... but also I couldn't seem to get dgV 1.x to work for this game either way. I think I tried nGlide but not OpenGlide though I'm sure it would not make a difference. I know it is possible to run this game on newer systems but I'm curious about running it on 9x machines without the need for a slower card than the one I have already (which is a GeForce2 Ti/Quadro2 Pro in my Presario 7000...)
I believe there is also a graphical issue with running the game with a newer version of DirectX, but I'm not quite sure. I know I could not get it to run on my Pavilion dv5000 (AMD Turion 64 with a Radeon Xpress 200M)
I don't think anyone has asked about this before so I've decided to reach out. Of course I could just play the N64 version (even through an emulator, and that version has an arbitrary save bug) but I'm sure there's someone else out there who would potentially be looking for the same kind of help I am looking for. It would be a fun game to play on my KVM with a ViewSonic G771...

TL;DR: Curious if there is a way to run this game without the need of selling a kidney for a Voodoo2 or using very old AGP/PCI cards that would not be adequate for other titles one would probably run on a system like a 550MHz Intel Celeron Mendocino (366A but running at a 100MHz FSB) with an ample 384MB of RAM.

Reply 1 of 4, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've definitely thought about doing a project to test all these cards for Glover and see what the differences are. For now though, I use a voodoo 1 or 2 when I want to play it. I do recall that I had to use the correct Diamond drivers to get my voodoo 2 working with it.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of the cards on the list,the Rage Pro should be very available. But whether the variants work (Rage XL and newly produced Rage XL) I have no idea.

Also no, Glover doesn't render properly on a Kyro II. It's probably a paletted-texture-exclusive game with no fallback.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It didn't run properly on my Rage Pro (not XL) box, using the latest drivers from Phil's site. It was a jumble of flickering untextured shapes. Had a look on the disc and while there were some files that looked like drivers for various hardware, there didn't seem to be any Rage Pro drivers supplied (there were Rage II and earlier by the looks of it).
I think the stuff about CIF and Glide and dgVoodoo 1.x might be a red herring as I didn't see any indication of CIF or Glide being in use here.

Reply 4 of 4, by Shadow Hog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use the "3dfx Voodoo 2" option. It's badly-named - it implies it should be a 3dfx Glide-specific renderer, but it's actually Direct3D. As such, it should work with pretty much any fully-featured Direct3D card. (Up until modern era computers, where the prerendered, interlaced cutscenes cause the program to lock up, anyway; not sure when that started happening, and if it's an OS or hardware change that caused that issue.)