VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're anything like me and Lords of the Realm 2 is one of your all time favorite games, then it must've bothered you that the game's epic EPIC music is so dreadfully lo-fi. Well, I've found a fix for that!

A while back, Keith Zizza, the audio designer for numerous Sierra games (Lords 2 included), uploaded the entire soundtrack to youtube in CD audio quality ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvLYEv8V0fM ). In his own words:

In the spring & summer of 1996, I wrote the soundtrack to Lords of the Realm II. It was the second game I worked on with Sierra […]
Show full quote

In the spring & summer of 1996, I wrote the soundtrack to Lords of the Realm II. It was the second game I worked on with Sierra (the first was Rise & Rule of Ancient Empires). The challenge was to make five map ("scroll") tunes that intensified as your empire grew. Also, there were four battle tunes, a setup, and a credits tune created.

Originally the music was going to be released on the CD-ROM as 16-bit 44100 stereo WAV files, but there wasn't enough room on the CD to accomodate them. Because they wouldn't stream off the CD, they had to be loaded in memory and so were released as 8-bit 11025 Hz files!

One big file on the original CD-ROM, "Pumkin.wav" was a composite of several tunes, but only used as 'filler' to max out the data on the disc; it was never meant to be played (as mentioned earlier, the tunes wouldn't all fit on the CD).

So here they are, the full fidelity tunes from over two decades ago. Put on your plate mail and get digging!

I figured out that all we need to enjoy that sweet hi-res music in-game is to simply rip the above tracks from youtube, rename them appropriately and put them in the directory where the game keeps its .wav files (this varies between versions).

If you don't want to go through all that hassle, here's a link to the said audio files that I've uploaded to my google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NPKCA … P0Y?usp=sharing
These are already renamed, all you need to do is download them and place them in the correct directory. Enjoy!

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim model, 500GB HDD, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 1 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a bunch!

I remember really liking some of the combat music back in the day. Listening to the soundtrack now, I think Battle 2 was my favorite. It sounds so epic!

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 8, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The saddest part is that Youtube compressed these soundtracks to lossy 128-160 kbps quality. No uncompressed audio is "allowed" on Youtube. Most people don't realize this; any audio uploaded in lossless format to Youtube is trancoded silently and destructively to lossy quality, without notice or indication the this has occurred.

Therefore, it would have been far better for proper archival quality had the composer uploaded the files as .wav or .flac (totally lossless and much better fidelity) than to Youtube. Youtube is the bane of audio fidelity.

Reply 4 of 8, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well yeah, these may actually be 128-160 kbps aac or m4a or whatever, but still sound a hell of a lot better than the 8-bit 11025 Hz we had with the original release of the game.

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB

Reply 6 of 8, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good call vetz!

There are some audio files on his website (https://www.keithzizza.net/sierra), but these seem to be mp3s.

Reply 7 of 8, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a WAV file on the CD called "PUMKIN". It's 16 bit, 44.1 KHz, and high bitrate, with a length of 15:52. It's most of the music rolled into one file. You just have to figure out where it needs to be cut to make separate files.

EDIT: Didn't notice it in the OP. The tracks aren't jumbled though, and can be separated. The only issue is that there's no silence between them, so it requires a bit of work.

Last edited by eddman on 2023-10-25, 06:28. Edited 2 times in total.