VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by raulpuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I cannot install the American McGees Alice game, after running the Setup shows me the following screen

Imagen1.jpg

The English error would be "Remote Procedu Call Failed", I have searched for solutions, but it seems that this error does not happen to anyone.

In addition, I cannot run the "The Adventure Company" games, Dead Reefs and Jack The Ripper, (when executing them a black screen is shown) about these two games is strange, I have been able to run them a few months ago.

Greetings and thanks for your time.

Reply 1 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Alice just copy the root of both CDs to the game folder. You'll also need to use a NOCD crack.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 26, by raulpuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Thanks DosFreak, the game is already executed although in Germans that seems to be the default language, I have changed the base file/pak4_german.pk3 for pak4_spanish.pk3 and although the menu continues in German seems to translate the rest of the game to Spanish.

I am worried about the error that does not let me install it, maybe that is the cause for which the other games are not executed, have you had any problem when installing it on Windows 10?

Greetings and thanks again.

Reply 3 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raulpuro wrote on 2023-10-29, 16:31:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Thanks DosFreak, the game is already executed although in Germans that seems to be the default language, I have changed the base file/pak4_german.pk3 for pak4_spanish.pk3 and although the menu continues in German seems to translate the rest of the game to Spanish.

I am worried about the error that does not let me install it, maybe that is the cause for which the other games are not executed, have you had any problem when installing it on Windows 10?

Greetings and thanks again.

I didn't have any issue installing it on Win10 back in 2021

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 26, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
raulpuro wrote on 2023-10-29, 16:31:

Going by DosFreak's comment, it's probable SafeDisc DRM is failing --> https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/American_McGee%27s_Alice

Reply 5 of 26, by raulpuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

@BEEN_Nath_58 That is the problem, my Windows 10 does not let me install old games.

@giantclam Yes, it is possible but I have executed "The Adventure Company" Games, Dead Reefs and Jack The Ripper, with a NO-CD patch and are still not working, although as I commented a few months ago they worked correctly.

Windows 10 works correctly with other programs and games.

I have turned off DEP (Data Execution Prevention), disabled the antivirus (Avast Free), applied fix for game... but they don't work either. It is almost certain that it is something that I have installed or uninstalled in the operating system this last year, but I don't know what it can be.

@giantclam and @BEEN_Nath_58 Thanks for your answers.

Greetings.

Reply 6 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raulpuro wrote on 2023-10-30, 22:32:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

@BEEN_Nath_58 That is the problem, my Windows 10 does not let me install old games.

@giantclam Yes, it is possible but I have executed "The Adventure Company" Games, Dead Reefs and Jack The Ripper, with a NO-CD patch and are still not working, although as I commented a few months ago they worked correctly.

Windows 10 works correctly with other programs and games.

I have turned off DEP (Data Execution Prevention), disabled the antivirus (Avast Free), applied fix for game... but they don't work either. It is almost certain that it is something that I have installed or uninstalled in the operating system this last year, but I don't know what it can be.

@giantclam and @BEEN_Nath_58 Thanks for your answers.

Greetings.

Maybe your Win10 installation is damaged in some way. Reinstallation should fix it.

@giantclam SafeDisc DRM doesn't prevent installation for that game at least. It is usually applied on the game executable and not on setup program

Reply 7 of 26, by raulpuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Ufff, Reinstall Windows 10 in my case is the last option.

I have executed SFC /Scannow and has not detected problems but the games are still not working.

I have again installed the "Dead Reefs" attached the log of "Dead Reefs", gives a sound error but I have not installed any new sound driver, is integrated into the motherboard.

Greetings

Attachments

• Filename
    gamelog.log
    File size
    9.03 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 26, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

why is it so hard to read the problem and the solution on pcgamingwiki's page?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/American_McGee%27s_Alice

Game does not install correctly on Windows 10 • Link

The installer seems to skip over several files during the installation process on computers running Windows 10.

Copy missing files and fix shortcuts[17]

Run through the installation process from the discs as normal, and make a note of the game's installation folder.
Re-insert Disc 1 back into your computer's optical drive.
Download and run the Alice Windows 10 Fixer, then follow its instructions. If you have installed the game to a different location than the default, you will need to enter this path manually when it asks you where to install the missing files.

https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/02/09/ … n-mcgees-alice/

Reply 9 of 26, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dancsi40 wrote on 2023-11-06, 03:00:
why is it so hard to read the problem and the solution on pcgamingwiki's page? […]
Show full quote

The installer seems to skip over several files during the installation process on computers running Windows 10.

Run through the installation process from the discs as normal, and make a note of the game's installation folder.
Download and run the Alice Windows 10 Fixer, then follow its instructions. If you have installed the game to a different location than the default, you will need to enter this path manually when it asks you where to install the missing files.

I was about to post the same link for pcgamingwiki for him, before I went through the last post here. Good one. I always resort to that site for any game I know that can run on modern Windows no matter what its age is. I have a Win 11 vm full of these old games running thanks to that site.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 10 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dancsi40 wrote on 2023-11-06, 03:00:
why is it so hard to read the problem and the solution on pcgamingwiki's page? […]
Show full quote

All that glitters is not gold...

"Error installing..." doesn't just mean "game doesn't install correctly". It could also mean a problem output from the RPC stub on Windows which is far different from a faulty installation.

Reply 11 of 26, by raulpuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

@Dancsi40, @Bruninho
The problem is that the game cannot be installed on my PC, and should be able to settle in Windows 10, all solutions are for the game once installed.

As I commented on a post above for some reason the company's games "The Adventure Company" Dead Reefs And Jack The Ripper that a few months ago worked correctly on this PC now do not run, I have also tried the solutions of www.pcgamingwiki.com

@BEEN_Nath_58
I fear that it can be a problem of my Windows 10, but the only thing that I remember installed "recently" in the antivirus.

Greetings.

Reply 12 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raulpuro wrote on 2023-11-06, 08:24:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

@Dancsi40, @Bruninho
The problem is that the game cannot be installed on my PC, and should be able to settle in Windows 10, all solutions are for the game once installed.

As I commented on a post above for some reason the company's games "The Adventure Company" Dead Reefs And Jack The Ripper that a few months ago worked correctly on this PC now do not run, I have also tried the solutions of www.pcgamingwiki.com

@BEEN_Nath_58
I fear that it can be a problem of my Windows 10, but the only thing that I remember installed "recently" in the antivirus.

Greetings.

I had a similar issue last yr with Win11 22H2. Html files refused to open from inside apps. InstallShield refused to start, 8and16bit mitigation detection malfunctioned, etc. A new installation fixed it, and since then I didn't have to reinstall it.

Reply 13 of 26, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some old games use old installers which don't work and the workaround (often mentioned in pcgamingwiki guides) is to use an alternate installer or manually copy the game files.

I had to use an alternate installer for Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D, for example.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 14 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-06, 14:18:

Some old games use old installers which don't work and the workaround (often mentioned in pcgamingwiki guides) is to use an alternate installer or manually copy the game files.

I had to use an alternate installer for Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D, for example.

This installer works.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D alternative installer isn't required if you use the Wine Virtual Dos machine on Windows.

Reply 16 of 26, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-11-06, 16:13:
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-06, 14:18:

This installer works.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D alternative installer isn't required if you use the Wine Virtual Dos machine on Windows.

Rogue Squadron 3D actually runs fine and installs fine natively on modern Windows 10/11, with no use of wine, dosbox, or any emulator; just use an alternate installer. I have the game installed and running here as we speak. It was just an example to show a point.

Other old games do require an alternate installer, and pcgamingwiki does provide the links for them, like SimCity 2000, Need For Speed II, to clarify what I was trying to explain there. If the game refuses to install, generally the culprit is the installer, some old games still used 16 bit installers so alternate 32 bit or modern installers customized for said games is required.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 17 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-06, 16:34:

Rogue Squadron 3D actually runs fine and installs fine natively on modern Windows 10/11, with no use of wine, dosbox, or any emulator; just use an alternate installer. I have the game installed and running here as we speak. It was just an example to show a point.

I was instead explaining the fact that the original installer isn't the problem, but Windows is. VDM is a missing and incomplete component on 64-bit Windows NT; Wine VDM just restores it as it is. Using an alternative installer isn't ever a problem if it does all steps correctly; I am explaining why looking for an alternative installer is MOSTly unreasonable when you can execute the actual 16bit installer. Additionally the game installs "as it is intended" by the developer.

GTA3 CD installer also has a bug that was probably fixed by GetDiskFreeSpace shim. I don't remember there was ever an alternative installer for that, right? So this is an example that there is a generalised way to install apps that don't run otherwise

Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-06, 16:34:

Other old games do require an alternate installer, and pcgamingwiki does provide the links for them, like SimCity 2000, Need For Speed II, to clarify what I was trying to explain there. If the game refuses to install, generally the culprit is the installer, some old games still used 16 bit installers so alternate 32 bit or modern installers customized for said games is required.

NFS2SE installs fine upto Windows 11 WITHOUT an alternative installer. I don't remember about SimCity2k, I don't have the cd close to me. As I said above 16bit installer isn't a problem if you recover the VDM to the machine.

@raulpuro If space isn't a problem you can create a VM and install the game and copy it to Windows

Reply 18 of 26, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@BEEN_Nath_58: how is using an alternative installer unreasonable? It fixed everything for me easily for all the old games I have installed so far where the original installer is not compatible with the modern Windows and/or Windows complains it can't run said installer for no reason.

You just replace the binary for the installer, install the game, play it. No need for VDM, emulators, virtual machines. I fail to see where it is unreasonable, if anything, it just makes things easier and solves the problem OOB.

Unreasonable is installing an entire VDM just for a game. Which in fact I did, since I have only one game which required the use of OTVDM (a different but smaller solution based off the same premise) and it is SimTower, simply because both game and installer are 16-bit (Windows 3.x); And now the game runs fine. But there's a catch, OTVDM did not work for the installer, which crashed numerous times until I realized there was an alternate 32-bit installer for it. Problem solved.

VDM isn't really completely required at all unless the game is 16-bit and we have the alternative installer. I am running more than 30 old games on modern Windows. SimCity 2K Urban Renewal Kit being one of them.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 19 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-06, 20:44:

@BEEN_Nath_58: how is using an alternative installer unreasonable? It fixed everything for me easily for all the old games I have installed so far where the original installer is not compatible with the modern Windows and/or Windows complains it can't run said installer for no reason.

Unreasonable is installing an entire VDM just for a game.

Although the thread is getting hacked and this particular conversation won't go anywhere and having heard enough, so I will be settling the points here-

The reason when I said "unreasonable" is behind standardisation. Most of the apps I run are either from 1995-2005 or the absolute latest. For 95% of games of the older era, WineVDM absolutely worked fine and I didn't have to step forward to search for any other 16bit machine. It was a standard way to install games. Of course issues existed, there were major bugs in the Sierra installers and some Civilization games (?) too that I reported and got fixed.

Of course not everybody needs the standardised method when it's a rare usage, such as your case, or reporting a bug and waiting to be fixed can also be a turn-off. For me who would otherwise have to go and search for an alternative installer every once and then because I have to install 10 times more games (over 250 atleast on 2 1TB hdds, reason - DxWnd), the standardisation is a more reasonable option.