VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-11-06, 21:14:

Although the thread is getting hacked and this particular conversation won't go anywhere and having heard enough, so I will be settling the points here-

The reason when I said "unreasonable" is behind standardisation. Most of the apps I run are either from 1995-2005 or the absolute latest. For 95% of games of the older era, WineVDM absolutely worked fine and I didn't have to step forward to search for any other 16bit machine. It was a standard way to install games. Of course issues existed, there were major bugs in the Sierra installers and some Civilization games (?) too that I reported and got fixed.

Of course not everybody needs the standardised method when it's a rare usage, such as your case, or reporting a bug and waiting to be fixed can also be a turn-off. For me who would otherwise have to go and search for an alternative installer every once and then because I have to install 10 times more games (over 250 atleast on 2 1TB hdds, reason - DxWnd), the standardisation is a more reasonable option.

"Standardisation", I call that BS. The alternate installer is a quick and perfect solution. You don't have to search for it. It's there on each game's pcgamingwiki page to be downloaded. It has nothing to do with "Reporting a bug and waiting to be fixed". The alternate installer already solves that exact problem and the games does run fine. So why bother with WineVDM?

The same alternate installer can even be reused for other games - most of them used the same install method, so the alternate installer is very handy.

"Rare usage"... No, it's not my case. I dont know what gave you the impression that I don't play any game regularly, but I do. I have more than 120 games from the 80's and 90's in my collection and I play all of it regularly. To me, it's simply more logical to use the alternate installer, install the game and discard the installer, than installing extra software for it (WineVDM is the one that actually requires "reporting bugs and waiting to be fixed").

I don't know why you're so pushy about WineVDM, unless you're probably one of the developers or a a big fan of it.

I see a point for having installed things like nGlide, DxWnd, dgVoodoo. But not for WineVDM when I can see the games running without it.

"Although the thread is getting hacked and this particular conversation won't go anywhere and having heard enough, so I will be settling the points here-"

Indeed, this convo won't go anywhere. Let's just agree that we strongly disagree, especially when both sides won't concede on their points, and move on from it, so we don't hijack the OP's thread.

I am not here for a flame war, I just pointed out that WineVDM is not really needed at all and these games can be played without it.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 21 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-07, 04:01:

The alternate installer is a quick and perfect solution. You don't have to search for it. It's there on each game's pcgamingwiki page to be downloaded. It has nothing to do with "Reporting a bug and waiting to be fixed". The alternate installer already solves that exact problem and the games does run fine. So why bother with WineVDM?

The same alternate installer can even be reused for other games - most of them used the same install method, so the alternate installer is very handy.

Sorry, I was curious as to what you said here. Reused. Which installer are you talking about? I am not aware of any that does this, could you specify?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 22 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the op actually wants help with their issues they should create a separate thread per game and post the errors that they have with each one, otherwise this thread is going to continue to be useless for the op issues.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-11-07, 12:02. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-11-07, 06:29:

The alternate installer is a quick and perfect solution. You don't have to search for it. It's there on each game's pcgamingwiki page to be downloaded. It has nothing to do with "Reporting a bug and waiting to be fixed". The alternate installer already solves that exact problem and the games does run fine. So why bother with WineVDM?

Sorry, I was curious as to what you said here. Reused. Which installer are you talking about? I am not aware of any that does this, could you specify?

https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 26, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-11-07, 06:29:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … eric-installer/

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 25 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-07, 12:46:

Ok this is great. I tried 3 games and all of them worked. It could be named better than an alternate installer: a 32-bit open source stub for IE is very close to an original installer and far from "alternates" that install extra HD patches, mods, z-fighting fix, single core patches, etc...

DosFreak wrote on 2023-11-07, 12:01:

If the op actually wants help with their issues they should create a separate thread per game and post the errors that they have with each one, otherwise this thread is going to continue to be useless for the op issues.

I was carried away with confusion... raulpuro can come back to this thread here, I got what I needed from the convo.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 26 of 26, by raulpuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Well, I have installed Windows XP in VMware Workstation and it has worked correctly, perhaps it is not the most efficient, but the game has been installed correctly and I can also play other Windows XP games that I had pending.

With VMware every time I want to play I have to change the resolution of the desktop (it is not something that bothers me), it does not seem to have a scaling option, I have also tried with Virtualbox, but I gave myself mistakes when I executed the game.

Thanks a lot to all.

Greetings.