VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PlanloS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all Vogons Users.
Im new here and also new in this scene.
My Name is Patrick, im from Germany and 35years old. I hope you guys can understand my English, its not the best 😀.
I love old Consoles and play much from my Childhood and before.
Since a few Month im also verry interested in Classic Computer Gaming since early 90s, so also like my Childhood (but our first PC that e Kids also used was 98/99).
It begans a few Month ago as rememberd that my Dad had an old IBM 380XD when i was a Kid and asked him if he still have it and if a can have it. For him its Garbage so i used it. Fight a bit with installimg a fresh Windows 98 on a 32gb CF Card with Adapter and played a bit with it.
Works great and i was infected so i looked for other cool Machines and found the Toshiba Libretto series. I was ever faszinated from small Notebooks and my "New" Gaming Laptop is also a Razer Blade Stealth 12inch also as a GPD Win3. I have small Hands and Played also more on my old Gameboy/color/advance then on any other Console so yea, small is something i like 😇.

So i buyed a Libretto 100, love this little thing and its in verry good condition. Also overclocked it to 266mhz with fresh Coolingpaste and also added a small but large (for that small space) copper cooling plate inside, that i build myself, so it can handle 266mhz also with Games that push it to its limit without overheating. Then there are also a 32mb ram extension. Works great 👍
But then there came also a Libretto 50ct, also a verry nice peace of Hardware. But thats something i will tell more on another thread 😀

Now its for the Portege 300ct.
It lools so cool and the Sound (especially with its CD Drive Dock) is so great for that time. It also runs so good and fast with a 32gb cf card, that i you didnt realise that it only have a 133mhz Pentium. Pure Faszinating for me 😊.

After these few Month i learned much about installing Windows 95 and 98/se also about those official/unofficial service packs. I had lots of fights bringig those CF Cards to Work (Best way for me at the Moment, i partitioned it 2,65gb for C: rest for D: on my Windows 10 Razer with Easeus. Then put it in my IBM 380XD and boot from Windows98 Disc and Format both Partitions again and running Fdisk for Prior Dos Partition... You guys know what i mean, then put it back in my Razer and Copy Startdisc on drive C: and Win98/95 folder also on C: or D:, then put the CF with Adapter in the Notebook i whant to install and let it boot in Dos Command and from there navigate to the folder and setup.exe for win98 or 95. Its also a bit Try and error, sometimes i had to make these steps 2 or more times before the Notebook acept the CF and boot in Dos and i dont know why it dosent work everytime also when i change nothing but thats the old times i think 😇).

Now to my little Problem for my 300ct.
It has a Resolution of 1024x600. I know most games at that time wont support that. But also 640x480 will also only display centered in the middle of the screen and i have big black borders all around. Will it only be left and right like on my Libretto 100 that also have 16:9 Display that would be ok for me. 640x480 stretched to 1024x600 wouldnt look good. But streched to 800x600, thats what i whant also for 320x240.

Do you know what i mean? 😀 nearly every game is only centered in tje middle.. and most games of that time you cant change resolution. Also when i change Desktop to 640x480 it will only apear in the middle with big borders allaround.. thats realy anoying..

Drivers are all installed and in Bios i also changed to stretch mode and the Windows98 Bootup screen is also Fullscreen (its not when i deaktivate it in Bios) but gaming isnt..
There is a Plug&Play Display to Chips and Tech. 65554 PCI Graphics Card in the 300ct. But i cant find anything where i can change it that Games are not centered to its resolution but stretched to 800x600 so i only have that borders left and right because its a 1024x600 display.

Do any of you guys know how i can change that? 😀
In the last few Month i googled much for the other little Machines and most of the Time Google brings me to Vogons to read the solution 😇 so i thought now it was a good idea to joyn you guys and eventually this comunity could help me.

So Hello to all of you 😊 nice to be here now.

Thanks
Patrick

EDIT:
If this is the wrong Thread for this then it would be nice if an Admin can move it to the right 😊

Reply 2 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually the BIOS setting that you changed should've been enough. But since other things don't fullscreen it's out of my knowledge.

You will have to wait for someone else if they have the appropriate knowledge

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058