VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kildare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to play these two old games(i'm using Windows XP professional), Hyperblade and Warhammer Darkomen. The games do run(meaning they are playable), but I seem to have some kind of graphic problem.

For Hyperblade, my screen gets "shaky" and the movements are too fast, so i can't play the game properly, but other than that, there are no problems.

For Dark Omen, I can't see the background when I'm inside of the game(as in during missions). I can only see the units and the command console.

I've tried running these two games in DosBox, but both recieve a message saying they can't run in Dos mode?(If i remember correctly, these two games were made back when Windows 95 was on, and they WERE playable in Dos mode)

Anyone can help? I REALLY REALLY want to play back these games. They are my all time favourites.

EDIT: I forgot, i need to put in my processor info -

Pentium 3.0Ghz
1GB Ram
NVidia GeForce FX 5700LE

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hyperblade
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/warhammer-dark-omen

According to MobyGames, Hyperblade is a Windows 95 game (even the CD says Windows 95). Looks like the same deal for the Warhammer game (except that it's also available for PlayStation 1).

Unfortunately we're getting to a point where a lot of early Win9x games aren't running well on the latest systems any more. The only things I can think of are:
- Install Linux and use Wine (never tried this myself)
- Build an older system (inconvenient but guaranteed to work)
- Wait a couple more years for more/better emulation options (a gamble, as things could just as easily be worse by then)

Reply 2 of 5, by Kildare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm...but the thing is, people HAVE managed to play the above games(or at least dark omen) on Windows XP. However, they're using a different video/graphics card. Apparently Nvidia has a problem with Dark Omen? That's why i'm here. To look around for solutions to run the games perfectly.

Reply 3 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

* Moved to Windows forum *

Hopefully it will be more visible here to people who can help.

Have you tried running in Win95 compatability mode? What about turning down Windows display hardware acceleration? (display properties->settings->advanced->troubleshoot)

You could also try installing the Windows Application Compatability Toolkit from Microsoft's web site.

Reply 4 of 5, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About DO. Runable in software only. In options use software, max all jptions except color cursors - don't select them or you would need to reinstall the game. If all screen is distorted - too bad, on latest Catalysts and probably Detonators it is. Only solution is to disable DDraw acceleration in dxdiag program, don't forget tpo re-enable it later. Game would work, but cutscenes won't.

Reply 5 of 5, by NoeWhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G'day.

I just got Hyperblade, and tried a few things.

1st) Run normally - no sound. Too fast.
2nd) 3dFX patch VooDoo 2 - Ran normally, but the sound was skipping, and characters vannished over and over agian. (Change 3dFX exe to Win 95 compat, works a bit better... Fixes sound problem)

3dFX Readme - -

HyperBlade owners who have purchased the Voodoo2 card from 3Dfx have reported that HyperBlade does not work with this card. The symptom is that the screen goes black and nothing happens. This is caused by a bug in the triple buffering code. The HB3DFxV2 patch will turn off triple buffering on the 3DFx Voodoo2 card and then re-enable it when the game exits. Note that this fix is ONLY for use with the 3DFx Voodoo2 card and will not make any difference on any other card.

Must be older than Radeons existance, becasue 90 percent works on mine)

Heres me specs:
1.4ghZ (LOL I know)
700+ ram
Radeon grfx card.

There must be something that can be done...

P.s, We can play this game online!!!!! 'Hamachi' is a program, which makes the comp think its only LAN... but it aint 🤣 hehehe.

It works with Fallout Tactics, and I really want to try Hyp.