VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emanuelect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with an old game. To start it I have to disconnect my USB headphones and connect headphones with a jack. After the game starts, I can reconnect the USB headphones.

Reply 2 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USB headphones are basically a USB soundcard, maybe of dubious quality and capabilities, with built in headphones. Therefore have to be setup like a soundcard, making sure they support DX audio etc. They bring all the "benefits" of any USB peripheral, like high CPU utilization. Ergo, should the CPU be highly loaded when sound detection is going on, they may fail to initialise. Usually it should be considered a miracle that you get a pair that lets you watch youtube vids with a short enough lag that you don't want to kill puppies. If you think I'm trying to say that they should be the sound device of last resort, you'd be right... unless you have early Bluetooth protocol headphones, then they might not go as poppy, crackly, drop out or turn all robotty as much as those might. (Some quality BT 2.0 makes do alright in a quiet RF environment at close range, but I digress.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They may offer an odd sound format (frequency/bits/number of channels) that the game doesn't properly work with, whereas if you switch over once the game has already chosen which format to use (based on the regular sound output) windows will automatically perform a conversion in the background.