VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I upgraded my graphic card from a GTX460 to a GTX1660, 8 bits colour mode on games outputs as grayscale/monochrome. Is it a problem with the drivers or a setting I can change? The print I took on 8 bits looked coloured when I switched back to 32 bits. The main display in connected via Displayport and there's a second one via HDMI. Both appear in Black & White/Grayscale when switched to 8 bit colour mode, so I believe it couldn't be both cables went bad. Also, I'm on Win7 64 bits.

Reply 1 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-19, 22:39:

Since I upgraded my graphic card from a GTX460 to a GTX1660, 8 bits colour mode on games outputs as grayscale/monochrome. Is it a problem with the drivers or a setting I can change? The print I took on 8 bits looked coloured when I switched back to 32 bits. The main display in connected via Displayport and there's a second one via HDMI. Both appear in Black & White/Grayscale when switched to 8 bit colour mode, so I believe it couldn't be both cables went bad. Also, I'm on Win7 64 bits.

I probably know what this is, but better show a screenshot and tell the application

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-20, 04:35:

I probably know what this is, but better show a screenshot and tell the application

It already happens on pure desktop when I try 8 bit colours mode. Screenshots appear coloured, however, as the screen is supposed to look.

Reply 3 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-20, 13:21:

It already happens on pure desktop when I try 8 bit colours mode. Screenshots appear coloured, however, as the screen is supposed to look.

First of all I didn't notice you are still using Win7 so whatever I was about to say doesn't apply.
Secondly it may happen that GTX1660 doesn't really render 8-bit modes correctly? On my Intel HD machine with Win7, I don't recall seeing such issues.
Can you try dgVoodoo2/DxWnd/DDrawCompat on a game with 8-bit color to see if they improve

Reply 4 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-20, 13:39:
First of all I didn't notice you are still using Win7 so whatever I was about to say doesn't apply. Secondly it may happen that […]
Show full quote

First of all I didn't notice you are still using Win7 so whatever I was about to say doesn't apply.
Secondly it may happen that GTX1660 doesn't really render 8-bit modes correctly? On my Intel HD machine with Win7, I don't recall seeing such issues.
Can you try dgVoodoo2/DxWnd/DDrawCompat on a game with 8-bit color to see if they improve

Wrappers do make the games look right, what puzzles me is that the issue happens on pure desktop already, like a greyscale filter being applied. My older GTX460 didn't have this issue at all, but I was stuck on much older drivers with it. I think I might have to downgrade the graphics drivers, but I have no idea which version introduced this bug, if it's really a driver problem.

Reply 5 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-20, 15:44:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-20, 13:39:
First of all I didn't notice you are still using Win7 so whatever I was about to say doesn't apply. Secondly it may happen that […]
Show full quote

Wrappers do make the games look right, what puzzles me is that the issue happens on pure desktop already, like a greyscale filter being applied. My older GTX460 didn't have this issue at all, but I was stuck on much older drivers with it. I think I might have to downgrade the graphics drivers, but I have no idea which version introduced this bug, if it's really a driver problem.

In my opinion, try drivers of October 2020, 2021, 2022. October because it was then that RTX30 came out prolly so there could be a architecture change update bringing issues to other things.