VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Efflixi86Box

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not sure this is the proper category for my particular question but it's the closest matching that I could figure out. Anyway, here's my dilemma.

I want to host quite a few dedicated servers for very old games like QuakeWorld, Quake 2/3, Unreal Tournament, and others. The "end goal" as it were is to create a community of old school retro gaming servers. My problem is I want to host all these on fairly modern hardware and through a VM system if at all possible. My current thought process is to use ProxMox (something I'm very familiar with) to host a VM that hosts the dedicated server. I have my doubts on whether any of these dedicated servers will work properly on anything newer than Windows 2000 or maybe XP so I'd be limited to those.

Part of the goal is for people on actual old hardware to be able to use these, so running modern ports isn't an option unless it's got 100% compatibility with the original retail versions.

Some questions I have:
1. How do i get around the software compatibility problems? Am i limited to running all these on Win2K for example?
2. What issues am I going to have running Win2K on "modern" hardware through a VM? Many of these dedicated servers would have been running on sub 1GHz cores back in the day and I won't be able to offer that today obviously...
3. Has anyone done anything like this and has some helpful "don't do what i did" information?

Internet speed and hosting in itself is not an issue, I've got uncapped unmonitored internet and plenty of battery backed up hardware to run VM's on as I need it.

Reply 1 of 2, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Efflixi86Box

Can you emulate, or run lower-spec Intel-compatible CPUs, with proxmox as is possible with qemu-kvm?

Have you considered WINE? That might be viable for non-graphical dedicated servers from the old days.

Maybe have a VM host that is just a bit old? Keep the VMs lean to minimise RAM needs, and maybe that could help with CPU speed.

With the right virtual hardware, Win2k can be OK, from my fiddling in qemu. Maybe use 2k server rather than Pro, that way you can use Terminal Services and not worry about decent drivers on the virtual VGA.

Not sure what it would be like to try and run long-term as some kind of server, but I run Linux VMs myself for weeks and weeks at a time. 2K could do that if you don't have crap installed. But the vast list of vulnerabilities in 2k means running long-term needs incredible isolation.... and that starts becoming useless.

I too have been thinking about something like this though. Because the software is so obsolete I was thinking of running VMs that are started up from static images and destroyed after use. Strict firewalling, so only packets come through that are legitimate. eg some games will never send/receive UDP to port x that are bigger than y bytes. Monitor game traffic, then makes iptables rules that log and drop anything unknown, even if superficially legitimate. Intrusion detection, so if a Windows machine with malware connects and starts scanning, it can be cut off automatically. Firewall so only application traffic allowed, firewalled at the VM host level. No need for eg old Windows SMB to be available if you are not using it.

As for getting real users connected to old servers, I had thought users have their retro PC connected by cross-over Ethernet to a RasPi or Linux machine (in the style of IPCop or smoothwall 😀 ). The Linux machine, on the home LAN/wifi otherwise, establishes a VPN for the retro machine to connect to a VPN containing the old servers. No old servers or clients need direct internet access, have an actual virtual private network. Best to not let retro PCs be able to route to each other either, just run an MSN compatible server for client to client chatting 😀

With a VPN system IPX etc. could conceivably be transported across the internet, enabling other older games and perhaps just a bit of, er, Novell printing. Maybe even some serial to IP to IP to serial, to enable null-modem games?

Good luck

Reply 2 of 2, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I virtualize machines of older OSes using ESXi and passing through real PCI devices (on a PCIe bus over PCI bridge) and using virtual devices. You can virtualize DOS or Win 3.1 with a virtual network adapter, and I have got them working in the past. I can get certain PCI devices working as well.