VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this nice game but it doesn't play the cd tracks even the iso is mounted, how can i fix that?

Reply 1 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You didn't tell if you got a downladed iso from the internet or made one with your own CD. For your information, ISO don't store CD Audio redbook data. If the game uses redbook cd audio (the ones that can be played on WMP or in normal cd players) then you need an alternative image format like bin/cue, mdf/mds, ccd/cue/img/sub, b6t/b6i, etc

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 9, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-20, 16:58:

You didn't tell if you got a downladed iso from the internet or made one with your own CD. For your information, ISO don't store CD Audio redbook data. If the game uses redbook cd audio (the ones that can be played on WMP or in normal cd players) then you need an alternative image format like bin/cue, mdf/mds, ccd/cue/img/sub, b6t/b6i, etc

yes, is a bin/cue with the cd tracks, i can listen to them with ultra iso

Reply 3 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2024-01-20, 18:31:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that UltraISO doesn't have a "real CD faking method", i.e. the game expects to see a real CD to play CDaudio and doesn't see one. Try using a different CD emulator. Or maybe extract all the CD music and use CDaudio wrapper.

Reply 4 of 9, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-21, 05:40:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that UltraISO doesn't have a "real CD faking method", i.e. the game expects to see a real CD to play CDaudio and doesn't see one. Try using a different CD emulator. Or maybe extract all the CD music and use CDaudio wrapper.

that's the weird thing because the game asks for the cd when you run it, if it is not mounted it will not launch...

Reply 5 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2024-01-22, 19:57:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-21, 05:40:

that's the weird thing because the game asks for the cd when you run it, if it is not mounted it will not launch...

Unsupported DRM maybe, use a no-CD

Reply 7 of 9, by davidmorom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What software are you using to mount the BIN/CUE? Very few supports playing CD-DA audio tracks correctly. I only know of Daemon Tools (terribly bloated and ad-wared), and ImgDrive. I recommed the later, is free and very light, and works perfectly fine with CD-DA games. Also keep in mind that most games only play audio tracks from the first CD-ROM drive, so you have to reassing the letters.

Reply 8 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
davidmorom wrote on 2024-01-24, 13:08:

What software are you using to mount the BIN/CUE? Very few supports playing CD-DA audio tracks correctly. I only know of Daemon Tools (terribly bloated and ad-wared), and ImgDrive. I recommed the later, is free and very light, and works perfectly fine with CD-DA games. Also keep in mind that most games only play audio tracks from the first CD-ROM drive, so you have to reassing the letters.

UltraISO, as the OP uses, plays CD-DA correctly in Windows XP as far as I remember. Since he didn't mention of his success in other games I am going to assume he's using XP.

Other than DAEMON Tools and ImgDrive, Alcohol 120% is usable. Or also it's portable version. I personally use DAEMON Tools cancelling all the blotaware it wants to install (carefully checking each step)

Reply 9 of 9, by davidmorom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried UltraISO Virtual CD, both in Windows 10 and Windows XP (virtual machine), and only the data track is mounted, media players don't recognise any audio tracks in the drive. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think UltraISO is capable of playing audio tracks at all. Yes, you can play them from UltraISO itself, by exploring the image and switching to Audio Tracks List mode, but not from the virtual drive.

On the other hand, Alcohol works perfectly, yes, both on Windows 10 and XP.

Anyway, in my opinion, the best solution is to use a no-cd patch and a WINMM wrapper. The WINMM wrapper that comes with DxWnd is very very good (the only one that worked with every game I tested, so far).