VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lazer42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a K6 system dual booting to Win98Se and DOS 6.22/3.1. The disk is an IDE -> SD card.

The DOS partition boots up and operates correctly every time.

The Win98 will boot all the way to the desktop - every time - but with the disk light constantly running. After a minute or so, I will get a blue screen with "Unable to write to disk in drive C:"

Every single time, if I reboot into safe mode - where the error does not occur - then from safe mode reboot to normal mode, it will run perfectly fine until I shut down. Then, every time, the error will occur again when booting up the next time. Safe mode -> normal mode gets it working again until shut down, and the pattern repeats.

The only thing I've tried so far is scandisk/chkdsk, which as I sort of expected didn't turn up any problems. There would seem to be something happening during shutdown that is causing a problem which is being corrected with Safe mode, but I have no idea where to begin in terms of figuring out what it may be.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 1, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazer42 wrote on 2024-01-27, 20:59:
I've got a K6 system dual booting to Win98Se and DOS 6.22/3.1. The disk is an IDE -> SD card. […]
Show full quote

I've got a K6 system dual booting to Win98Se and DOS 6.22/3.1. The disk is an IDE -> SD card.

The DOS partition boots up and operates correctly every time.

The Win98 will boot all the way to the desktop - every time - but with the disk light constantly running. After a minute or so, I will get a blue screen with "Unable to write to disk in drive C:"

Every single time, if I reboot into safe mode - where the error does not occur - then from safe mode reboot to normal mode, it will run perfectly fine until I shut down. Then, every time, the error will occur again when booting up the next time. Safe mode -> normal mode gets it working again until shut down, and the pattern repeats.

The only thing I've tried so far is scandisk/chkdsk, which as I sort of expected didn't turn up any problems. There would seem to be something happening during shutdown that is causing a problem which is being corrected with Safe mode, but I have no idea where to begin in terms of figuring out what it may be.

Any ideas?

Turn off Fast Shutdown in msconfig.exe if you haven't. This feature can lead to such problems.
Click on "Advanced":
Fq-xp6_V97l3H2ca2ETFb71737CpPxU72F_X62sstfGDDk0xc0rLDzs47vHaWFGZYVsdpeRUtBwZzeL1Bp9A8RAR3WKR
And then:
V5M0_pTI_qf0IyhUej51erEeYzzPK38kvFZvzJjlMOTq4eBKTpbTYwGc3ncEKKZS69VFL2owfL4Vczxgq7tsXaXdYNsSVg