VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a retail XP SP3 installation, is there a way to get the POSReady updates now?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 8, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume you've done the posready registry patch already.

I did the posready thing on all of my XP machines and got all the updates, back when windows update worked. But afaik Microsoft later killed off automatic updates for anything less than Win7, because, well, it's Microsoft.

You might be able to get the updates from the catalog, but it's a tiresome process to get a list of them, download and install them manually one at a time.

Reply 2 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would assume that if you've done the edit, this method will get them.
Using Windows Update on 2000, XP, Vista in 2022

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-01-28, 15:49:

I would assume that if you've done the edit, this method will get them.
Using Windows Update on 2000, XP, Vista in 2022

Robbbert wrote on 2024-01-28, 15:33:

I assume you've done the posready registry patch already.

I did the posready thing on all of my XP machines and got all the updates, back when windows update worked. But afaik Microsoft later killed off automatic updates for anything less than Win7, because, well, it's Microsoft.

You might be able to get the updates from the catalog, but it's a tiresome process to get a list of them, download and install them manually one at a time.

Whenever they cutoff the Update service I wasn't using XP anyway so I never updated. O don't know about any registry patch either.

Reply 4 of 8, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The easiest way is https://legacyupdate.net/

That site is even intelligent enough to disable PosReady when the CPU of the system doesn't support SSE2.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 5 of 8, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had problems with legacyupdate - you have to install a program before you can get any updates, and that program changes your administrator password. I had to use an admin reset disk to regain access to my machine. Who knows whatever else that program did.

As for the registry patch:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Reply 6 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robbbert wrote on 2024-01-28, 21:55:
I've had problems with legacyupdate - you have to install a program before you can get any updates, and that program changes you […]
Show full quote

I've had problems with legacyupdate - you have to install a program before you can get any updates, and that program changes your administrator password. I had to use an admin reset disk to regain access to my machine. Who knows whatever else that program did.

As for the registry patch:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

schmatzler wrote on 2024-01-28, 18:41:

The easiest way is https://legacyupdate.net/

That site is even intelligent enough to disable PosReady when the CPU of the system doesn't support SSE2.

Okay I am installing the updates now, but after a restart the user no longer auto-logins. It just prompts me to choose a user (which is just one).

if I go to user account setting, I see a password-protected limited account named ASP.NET.

Reply 8 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robbbert wrote on 2024-01-29, 08:50:

asp.net comes with .NET, and is only of use if you're a .NET developer. You can disable it if you want.

Guessing it came with the MANDATORY .NET Framework installation? So I guess I will delete it.