VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

I've recently got into Windows 3.1 time-wasters again.. Tetris, Mine Sweeper, FreeCell, Chess, TetraVex, all that stuff.

While playing some of the old Windows classics, I'd like to listen to some great MIDI tracks.

But I am struggling to find a good MIDI player for Windows 3.1 🙁

What I'd like to have is simply:
1. be able to add a subdirectory, e.g. C:\MIDI\ into a playlist.
2. be able to do shuffle play of all said MIDIs.
3. be able to handle a large selection of MIDI files.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Windows_MediaPlayer.png
Filename
Windows_MediaPlayer.png
File size
278.45 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

but you have to one-off load every file, so not suitable.

Then there's the Creative MIDI player that comes with Creative's Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold driver disk:

Creative_MIDI_player.png
Filename
Creative_MIDI_player.png
File size
343.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

that one is quite nice and clean as far as UIs go, but it has a limitation of only being able to add 100 files to playlist, and there is no shuffle option (that I could find), so didn't quite cut it.

Then I found MIDI MADE MUSIC Jukebox:

MIDI_MADE_MUSIC_Jukebox.png
Filename
MIDI_MADE_MUSIC_Jukebox.png
File size
426.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The UI is a bit all over the place, but that's not a problem if it would work. This player seems to have two separate playlist areas, one for the top side of the screen that mimics a physical Jukebox, and then at the bottom side for a playlist. There are also size limits to number of files, and for some reason it looks like shuffle play works only for files that are added by hand one by one (?) to the physical jukebox grids.

Then I also found this MediaSauce thing:

MediaSauce_1.1_demo.png
Filename
MediaSauce_1.1_demo.png
File size
328.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

but only a demo version, and could not find a shuffle button even if I did source the real version.

Then I found this Midiplus v2.15 thing, although it only blanks the screen briefly and does nothing. The thing gives me a MS-DOS icon as if it was a DOS executable, but when I run it from DOS, it says "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". Maybe that is a Win95 program I suppose. (although somewhere on Archive.org I think I saw a text "Midi Plus 2.15 is the last version that works on Windows 3.1, 2.17 requires Windows 95")

MidiPlusv2.15.png
Filename
MidiPlusv2.15.png
File size
322.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So... any recommendations on a good MIDI player that would be able to load a large playlist of files and shuffle play them?

Or if such a MIDI player doesn't exist, then perhaps recommend a Windows 3.1 MOD player?

Thanks!