VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AaronS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wondering if there's anything that can "translate" the Physx effects kinda like how dgvoodoo has the Glide thing? Basically if its not an Nvidia card it gets passed to the CPU and will lag extremely hard when stuff like smoke/steam or particles using the Physx engine are on screen. I tried DXVK but it didn't seem to help.

Reply 1 of 5, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't PhysX already work like that? I only have the original release of Mafia II for reference and I distinctly remember PhysX option working on non-NVIDIA hardware. If my memory is right, I recall Terminator: Salvation also having dependencies on PhysX libraries, but I'd have to recheck to be sure. No idea about Batman, there are multiple games which title start with Batman Arkham.

I suppose some games could have artificial limitations and not use PhysX if non-NVIDIA card was detected, but I don't think PhysX itself has limitation that it wouldn't work on CPU if nothing else was available, even NVIDIA Control Panel has distinct setting to choose whether it should run on GPU or CPU.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote on 2024-02-21, 09:01:

Doesn't PhysX already work like that? I only have the original release of Mafia II for reference and I distinctly remember PhysX option working on non-NVIDIA hardware. If my memory is right, I recall Terminator: Salvation also having dependencies on PhysX libraries, but I'd have to recheck to be sure. No idea about Batman, there are multiple games which title start with Batman Arkham.

I suppose some games could have artificial limitations and not use PhysX if non-NVIDIA card was detected, but I don't think PhysX itself has limitation that it wouldn't work on CPU if nothing else was available, even NVIDIA Control Panel has distinct setting to choose whether it should run on GPU or CPU.

That's exactly OP's problem. PhysX was deliberately made in a way that it's unbearably slow on anything that isn't nvidia.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 5, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2024-02-21, 09:01:

I suppose some games could have artificial limitations and not use PhysX if non-NVIDIA card was detected

RandomStranger wrote on 2024-02-21, 09:18:

PhysX was deliberately made in a way that it's unbearably slow on anything that isn't nvidia.

It's not an artificial limitation. The amount of physics effects in GPU mode was/is too much for a CPU to process and have acceptable performance (You can force it in the driver control panel to be processed by the CPU though).

The reason that mode is limited to nvidia is that GPU-accelerated Physx uses CUDA, which non-nvidia parts don't support.

The only option is to disable GPU PhysX in the game, which switches to a non-accelerated CPU-only Physx mode with reduced game physics.

There used to be a site that kept track of physx games:

https://web.archive.org/web/20211206091850/ht … php?p=gam&f=all

AFAIK all retail games that support GPU physx also have the option to switch to a lighter CPU mode.

@OP

Maybe if there was a way to run CUDA on non-nvidia cards, then perhaps GPU physx can be made to work.

Last edited by eddman on 2024-02-21, 14:38. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 5 of 5, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-02-21, 09:18:

That's exactly OP's problem. PhysX was deliberately made in a way that it's unbearably slow on anything that isn't nvidia.

Yeah, I didn't read the original post right...

Still, can't say I found PhysX particularly performant even with a real NVIDIA GPU. Maybe if you fork a thousand for it it's better. Talking about mid-range GTX 750 Ti from 2014.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.