VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay this sucks - I try to get the old DOS game Pandora Directive running on my PC - but it won't detect the CD. Probably because my CD ROM drive is at drive L:. So I try Virtual PC and it can't handle the SVGA.

So I finally give in, and pull out my old P166 to run Pandora Directive (I was really wanting to play this). BUT: my LCD monitor just goes back to a black screen after a few minutes, as if it's unable to detect any picture. Turning it off and on again gives me a few minutes again, before it drops. The game plays perfectly but I can't play it like this.

So does anyone know why my LCD screen won't detect any picture? Is this because the computer is too old? Is there a way to avoid this? Help please!

Reply 1 of 1, by Arminator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe it is, because your graphics card has some strange refresh rate at this games resolution. Normally a LCD works fine with 60 Hz. However some older graphics cards "think" there is some flickery CRT attached, and try to run at their best refresh rate. The LCD cannot handle the refresh rate for too long (just long enough to allow you to switch refresh rates in a Windows environment for example) and switches to standby in order to keep it from the stress.