VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

I have been having a problem with Medal of Honor Allied Assault in which the game crashes to desktop. The game simply starts loading and shows a grey screen, and then crashes back to desktop with no error messages. After investigating the windows crash logs, it shows that MOHAA.exe had an APPCRASH related to an NVIDIA driver file called "nvoglv32.dll". I have further investigated the issue and discovered that all NVIDIA GPU drivers after version 517.48 causes the game to crash at startup. The only way to play MOHAA at the moment with new GPU drivers is using gldirect, but it is not very stable with MOHAA and causes lots of graphical artifacts and problems. Is there any proper solution to fix this issue other than downgrading NVIDIA GPU drivers or using gldirect?

I am running the WarChest version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault on Windows 10 64bit.

Reply 1 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may need to load Nvidia Profile Inspector and set the extension limit.

You can also try:
https://github.com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win
with the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE variable

It may be possible to hexedit the executable as well.

Another option may be to place the older OGL ICD in the game directory.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-03-05, 23:17. Edited 3 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 16, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-03-05, 23:12:
You may need to load Nvidia Profile Inspector and set the extension limit. […]
Show full quote

You can also try:

Thanks for the tips. I have just checked NVIDIA Profile Inspector, and the extension limit is enabled by default. However, I tried changing the value for the extension limits hoping it could make any difference but it didn't. The game still doesn't work even with the extension limit still enabled.

For the MESA solution I think it could be similar to gldirect since gldirect is part of the MESA package.

For the hexedit solution, I am not sure what values should I edit.

Reply 3 of 16, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

You can also try:

I have just tried the GOG version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and I can confirm that it works just fine with any NVIDIA driver version. I was using the Origin/EA app version, but I have always used it before. It is very strange that it stopped working after NVIDIA driver version 517.48. Why would that happen?

Reply 4 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the game works with one copy of the game and not another then you can run windiff against both copies to see what the differences are.

Reply 5 of 16, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like random file corruption

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 6 of 16, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
myne wrote on 2024-03-14, 10:13:

Sounds like random file corruption

I have re-installed the game multiple times and repaired it using the built-in repair tool from the EA app, but it didn't work. I don't think it has anything to do with file corruption since it works with old NVIDIA drivers like version 517.48. I think there is something wrong with the EA app that makes it incompatible with new NVIDIA drivers.

Reply 7 of 16, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on 551.76
Ran for a min or 2 and seemed fine

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.

Reply 8 of 16, by FX506

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WhiteBear wrote on 2024-03-12, 06:07:
Show full quote

You can also try:

I have just tried the GOG version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and I can confirm that it works just fine with any NVIDIA driver version. I was using the Origin/EA app version, but I have always used it before. It is very strange that it stopped working after NVIDIA driver version 517.48. Why would that happen?

I looked it up on Pcgamingwiki, it seems that Origin's overlay can cause the game to crash, which is why the GOG version probably works.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Medal_of_Ho … ezes_on_startup

Check the "Disable in-game Origin overlay by forcing the 3dfxgl graphics driver" section.

Reply 9 of 16, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FX506 wrote on 2024-03-17, 08:39:
I looked it up on Pcgamingwiki, it seems that Origin's overlay can cause the game to crash, which is why the GOG version probabl […]
Show full quote
WhiteBear wrote on 2024-03-12, 06:07:
Show full quote

You can also try:

I looked it up on Pcgamingwiki, it seems that Origin's overlay can cause the game to crash, which is why the GOG version probably works.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Medal_of_Ho … ezes_on_startup

Check the "Disable in-game Origin overlay by forcing the 3dfxgl graphics driver" section.

I have tried that before, and t does not work at all. I have tried almost everything in PCGamingWiki and nothing works for the EA app version except for using gldirect. I have also tried compatibility mode, and running the game as admin and it didn't work. For the EA app version, I am stuck with either using NVIDIA driver 517.48 and older or using gldirect. With the GOG version the game worked just fine out of the box. What is the difference between the two? I can't find any so far except for the fact that the EA app version has EA app DRM, so that could be the problem. I really hope that EA would release the game on Steam DRM free. I would just buy it again on Steam and get rid of this problem.

Reply 10 of 16, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd personally search for the OG copy from 20 years ago that never had any of the current bs
Unless there's some sort of limitation to online play that it can't do.

Things I built:

Reply 12 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can probably use Anadius Origin Unwrapper to remove the Origin DRM. I don't have the Origin infected version so can't verify but it works for a lot of their games. Also typically replacing the Origin exe with the executable from another store version usually works. I don't run my games through game store launchers so don't know or care what craziness they may cause as far as compatibility.

Reply 13 of 16, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WhiteBear wrote on 2024-03-17, 23:45:

Which version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault are you using?

Whatever's been on my hdd for 20 years that came from the CD

Things I built:

Reply 14 of 16, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried the 10th anniversary release (which has the same files as war chest) and the game was crashing to desktop when attempting to start a new game. I applied patch 1.11 and now it works. I use Windows 10 22H2 64-bit, and GTX 1060 with driver 546.33.

One issue that I can see though are black lines, specially in the sky box. No idea how to fix that. Adding seta r_forceClampToEdge 1 to the config file fixes it.

MOHAA_2024_03_18_20_51_41_402.jpg
Filename
File size
285.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 15 of 16, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
myne wrote on 2024-03-18, 04:10:
WhiteBear wrote on 2024-03-17, 23:45:

Which version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault are you using?

Whatever's been on my hdd for 20 years that came from the CD

Yeah the CD and GOG versions work just fine. The problem is with the EA app/Origin version. It crashes on startup with new NVIDIA drivers.

Reply 16 of 16, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2024-03-18, 16:56:

I just tried the 10th anniversary release (which has the same files as war chest) and the game was crashing to desktop when attempting to start a new game. I applied patch 1.11 and now it works. I use Windows 10 22H2 64-bit, and GTX 1060 with driver 546.33.

One issue that I can see though are black lines, specially in the sky box. No idea how to fix that. Adding seta r_forceClampToEdge 1 to the config file fixes it.

I guess that is a different problem than the one that I am having. The problem that I am having only happens with the EA app version. It crashes on startup not when starting a new game. It just show a grey screen on startup and crashes with new NVIDIA drivers. It seems to be some sort of incompatibility between new NVIDIA drivers and some EA app components related to MOHAA.