VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by apricot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to print some files from Microsoft Publisher so I'm currently looking for a cheap old printer that would work with Windows 2000 SP4 at the latest but a printer that works with WIN95/98 would be even better however I've worked out it might just be easier to search for an old printer that works with Windows 2000 as I'm more likely to find one.

Unfortunately MS Publisher will not work in more modern OS's I know that you can install MS Office 97 in Windows 10 for example but not everything works and Publisher is one of them, so in order to print out my files I need a computer that has Publisher 97 installed so that the files I need to print out will be recognized.

My plan is to install MS Publisher on my Windows 2000 PC and then hopefully find an old cheap printer that I could use on it.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any printer share that is accessible over the network will work (Would likely need SMB1 enabled on the remote computer)

You can install PDFCreator (PDFCreator-2_1_2-setup works on 98 or above) or similar on the system and print to PDF from within the application and then do with the PDF what you like.

You can open the publisher files with:

OpenOffice
OOo_2.4.1_Win32Intel_install_en-US (works on 98+)
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Win_x86_install_en-US (Works on 2000+)

I don't know of the compatibility of later versions of LibreOffice or OpenOffice and old files but you can try the latest version of each first.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
apricot wrote on 2024-04-01, 11:27:
I need to print some files from Microsoft Publisher so I'm currently looking for a cheap old printer that would work with Window […]
Show full quote

I need to print some files from Microsoft Publisher so I'm currently looking for a cheap old printer that would work with Windows 2000 SP4 at the latest but a printer that works with WIN95/98 would be even better however I've worked out it might just be easier to search for an old printer that works with Windows 2000 as I'm more likely to find one.

Unfortunately MS Publisher will not work in more modern OS's I know that you can install MS Office 97 in Windows 10 for example but not everything works and Publisher is one of them, so in order to print out my files I need a computer that has Publisher 97 installed so that the files I need to print out will be recognized.

My plan is to install MS Publisher on my Windows 2000 PC and then hopefully find an old cheap printer that I could use on it.

Any ideas?

You don't even need a printer or even a real (physical) old PC as you can use a virtual machine.

I suggest something like this approach (the resulting PDF can be copied over to any modern machine to be printed on a modern printer). Please feel free to ask questions.

Re: Converting Common Ground Digital Paper .dp manual to PDF

EDIT: What Dosfreak suggested works too, of course, though for the shared printer approach there would need to be driver support for the printer used in the old OS. If the modern printer supports Postscript or PCL, using a printer driver with support for that should work too. Doing this from a virtual machine running on the modern printer connected PC is a possible alternative to networking the old PC. That being said I believe my suggestion or Dosfreak's print to pdf one are likely the simplest ones, with his being the simplest and easiest to try first.