VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aeecee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am playing this old boat racing game that was published by Interplay called VR Sport Powerboat Racing and there is a track in the called Mines. And the second the race starts the game freezes up and I get an error message that says this.

The instruction at 0044bb31 referenced memory at 12bd1000.
The memory could not be written.

What is interesting is whenever I try and play the track in the time attack mode it works fine and does not crash. It only crashes when I try and play on the track in a game mode that involves racing other boats such as the championship mode. I have ran this game on two different computers and both of them have had the same problem . So I hoping that maybe someone on here can help me fix this I can finish playing this game.

Reply 2 of 7, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whatever this is, I'm just want to state its not my BUG 😀 I was one of devs but it can't be me, maybe Gav or Francis's bug, not mine I don't do bugs 😉

Software or HW rendering?

OS version, etc.

And what level is Mines? Can you show me a screen shot, I never knew them by anything but the original country based names we used during development.

Game dev since last century

Reply 3 of 7, by Aeecee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deano wrote on 2024-04-13, 09:36:
Whatever this is, I'm just want to state its not my BUG :) I was one of devs but it can't be me, maybe Gav or Francis's bug, not […]
Show full quote

Whatever this is, I'm just want to state its not my BUG 😀 I was one of devs but it can't be me, maybe Gav or Francis's bug, not mine I don't do bugs 😉

Software or HW rendering?

OS version, etc.

And what level is Mines? Can you show me a screen shot, I never knew them by anything but the original country based names we used during development.

If you developed this game then maybe you can help me out here.

Go to 40:36 to see the Mines level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcrkfskw5g&l … kHZlkew&index=5

Reply 4 of 7, by Aeecee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-04-13, 07:32:

Try using Windows 95 or WIndows 98/ME compat mode

Okay so I tried the compatibility mode and at first when I tried starting the game it just crashed and I would get the same message. But after a few attempts I got the game to startup and when I went to play the Mines level it no longer crashed when the races begins. I was able to finish the race but then after I exited the game and tried to start it back up again now all it does crashed and I get the same error message.

Reply 5 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aeecee wrote on 2024-04-14, 15:53:

Okay so I tried the compatibility mode and at first when I tried starting the game it just crashed and I would get the same message. But after a few attempts I got the game to startup and when I went to play the Mines level it no longer crashed when the races begins. I was able to finish the race but then after I exited the game and tried to start it back up again now all it does crashed and I get the same error message.

Could well be Program Compatibility Assistant interfering. For an easy verification, modify the executable to any arbitrary complex name and try running the game normally.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 7, by Aeecee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-04-14, 16:02:

Could well be Program Compatibility Assistant interfering. For an easy verification, modify the executable to any arbitrary complex name and try running the game normally.

So I switch the compatibility mode over to Windows XP and now the game starts up and the Mines level play just fine and so I guess that fixed it and hopefully it will keep running fine now.

Reply 7 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aeecee wrote on 2024-04-14, 22:18:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-04-14, 16:02:

So I switch the compatibility mode over to Windows XP and now the game starts up and the Mines level play just fine and so I guess that fixed it and hopefully it will keep running fine now.

Technically speaking the only thing the game should need is the EmulateHeap component fom the 95 compatibility mode, but its a separate process and if you are satisfied with switching compatibility modes and playing thats an easier way.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058