VOGONS

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

as you know for dos games the specific soundcard can make a big difference for the quality of the music. So we updated the Sound Card Comparison that was already mentioned in a thread here.
It features now:
Adlib, MT-32, Game Blaster, IBM Music Feature Card, AWE 32, Roland SC-55, Yamaha DB50XG, GUS and Dream SAM9407.
Some more songs are also included.

http://dos.skillreactor.org/soundcards/

still missing (but already recorded) is:
Xwing with GUS and Dream, MI with AWE32s MT32-Emulation (aka aweutil).

Reply 1 of 4, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I plan on getting an mt-32 and a sound canvas hopefully sometime in the future. So last week I was searching for Descent sound canvas recordings but couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Wonderful website.

Reply 2 of 4, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I've got a 2meg Ensoniq Soundscape card and would more than happy to supply samples for this card, are you the person to email as I was unsure when having a quick look at the site.

In the few games I've tried it sounds superior to the AWE64 card I have, i.e Doom, Tie Fighter and System Shock with much better Drums and Instruments, I thought the chorus and reverb would make the AWE64 a better card in games that support it but its not the case, this card is not good for older games that don't have general midi support as the fm synthesis is played back by the boards onboard GM sounds, I have'nt tried that many games but it does'nt seem to work that well.

edit: Just checked and my assumed AWE64 is the value edition, I guess no one would expect great midi from a card like this, i'vw got no idea how the standard version would compare.

Reply 4 of 4, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While the CM-64 is a good module - it doesn't replicate the exact same sound as the MT32. The CM32P portion isn't very useful either.

It's still probably best to have both a MT32 and a CM32L/CM64