VOGONS

First post, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a P-133 (Aptiva) running DOS 6.22. It has some sort of 3Com 10/100 NIC, and I'd like to somehow network it directly with my Windows XP system for easy transfer of files.

I'm at a bit of a loss - I didn't even start working with networked PCs until Windows 95. Can anyone offer a suggestion on the best way to accomplish this?

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't think I ever did networking with DOS. Windows for Workgroups, with some kind of packet-driver and Trumpet Winsock, might work. It has been ages since I tried that, so I don't remember much.

If your DOS PC has a serial port, it might be easier to add a similar serial port (maybe on USB?) to your XP machine, and use X/Y/Z-modem over serial to transfer the files.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you need to load some sort of driver in dos. maybe look on the 3com site for it

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ask Google for Network bootdisk.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 8, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not only do you need the NIC driver you would also need some sort or tcp/ip stack since DOS 6 doesn't have one built in. I think the later versions of DR Dos and IBM PC Dos did have built in networking though, or of course WFW 3.11 would also work.

Reply 5 of 8, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TCP/IP was also possible with MS stuff, but don't ask me how... I've built a Multi-Networking bootdisk at the time, it supported different NIC's and IPX/SPX or TCP/IP. I didn't need a specialized TCP/IP stack. Sadly, i can't remember much more...

Subjunctive, you should look for a ready-made bootdisk, like h-a-l-9000 wrote, and adapt it to your NIC and system. The 3COM NIC should be supported, you'll need a "DOS packet driver" for it.

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about installing Windows and dual booting? Pehaps even just Win 3.11 for Workgroups?

Reply 7 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it would be slow but a null modem cable would work no problems

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 8, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to find a few different network boot disks through Google. "Bart's Network Boot Disk" in particular looked promising:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

Will try it out and see what happens...