VOGONS

First post, by hungerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old 300mhz laptop. Now I want to give the darn heavy thing a use and turn it into my personal 'dosbox'.
I've installed Ms Dos 6.2 and all Games I want run perfectly, just without sound.
I've hunted around for a solution, but was never able to find anything useful on the matter.
Its got a ES1968 Maestro2, which I cannot get to work. There are drivers availible for win95/98, which as far as my understanding goes is basically still dos, just with a higher version bump.
EDIT:
Ok, I found this thread ESS (not Ensoniq) Maestro-2 Compatibility which confirms what I was thinking.
I should be able to use those windows drivers.
But I don't really want to install windows just for this, is there perhaps a workaround?
Where do the windows drivers normally reside once installed under windows (Win98 that is...)??
Maybe if I recreate the directory structure, I'll be able to get the driver to work...
EDIT2:
I installed win98, sound now works, even under dos 6.2 😀
Shame about that win install though, because I was aiming at replacing ms dos with free dos, but I guess that would cause trouble with win98, and anyhow, if I 'need' windows there is no real point to the exercise...

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Reply 1 of 2, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy you solved your problem but you're not 100% professional 😉 :
ideal situation to play old Dos&Win95 games is a "multiboot" system like my old P200MMX (Pure Dos 6.2 or Windows ME). It was a nasty bitch to find working dos drivers for my soundcard (sound blaster pci 128) but now it works perfectly. 😎

Reply 2 of 2, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some things that I would like to point out:

Windows 9X is for practical purposes always a multiboot with Dos.
A Windows 9X installation first loads Dos v7 and then it loads Windows.
You can choose to not load windows and remain in Pure Dos by pressing F8
at startup (or edit the options in c:\Msdos.sys)
Of course you can also multiboot with Dos v6.2, but I don't see much benefit over v7.

Next, Windows 9X drivers are useless for pure Dos. They may have functions for the Windows-9X Dosbox (this is emulated Dos), like legacy sound, but only if such support was intentionally added.
(To complicate matters, some Windows 9X driver packages install drivers for both windows, windows-dosbox and pure dos. but these are still functionally seperate drivers.)