VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried some different S3 based VLB cards in one of my 486 boxes today
With Univbe v6.53 (never version refuse to work) I seem to get less Vesa screenmodes...I thought univbe would give me more, 🤣

(see pic below)

Tried the pcpbench testbench program but it refuses to run since it says I'm missing a vesa mode called "100"
This happens with both univbe running and have also tested s3vbe20 VESA driver..same result

launched the pcpbench program with the parameter to see which vesa modes it can find..see pic below

p1010351yx0.jpg

p1010349oi9.jpg

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 12, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

I'm sorry but my photo skills are zero

Your photo skills are fine, but what about taking the shots from the side ?
Since then you won´t get a half mirror image of you. Since the PC screen acts a bit like a mirror in your shots.

Reply 4 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Since then you won´t get a half mirror image of you. Since the PC screen acts a bit like a mirror in your shots.

I thought you guys wanted to know what I looked like
😁

Reply 5 of 12, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

I thought you guys wanted to know what I looked like
😁

🤣, yeah if you were a girl 😉 (silly joke I know)

Anyway, perhaps some people can tell you what is wrong.

Reply 7 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Already tried that as you can see in my post 🙁

Reply 8 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OT: Amigaz, you should at once apologize sincerely for arousing WolverineDK. Who knows which sinful and utterly dirty acts you forced him to do, after pressing him to look at your highly revealing and erotic picture. (;

Btw: i had to look at picture for about one minute until i saw what WolverineDK means. Strange what people are looking for in photographs... I think Sigmund Freud would have a lot to say about that topic.

Reply 9 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ADDiCT wrote:

OT: Amigaz, you should at once apologize sincerely for arousing WolverineDK. Who knows which sinful and utterly dirty acts you forced him to do, after pressing him to look at your highly revealing and erotic picture. (;

Btw: i had to look at picture for about one minute until i saw what WolverineDK means. Strange what people are looking for in photographs... I think Sigmund Freud would have a lot to say about that topic.

lolol, I can see that I hadn't shaved my legs that day 😊

Since we hang here I think we all have a reason to visit Dr. Freud, hehe
It's not 100% sane to play ancient games and fiddle with prehistoric hardware 😁

Reply 11 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried a Tseng ET4000W32p 2mb based Hercules Dynamite, now I can get PC Player working if I use a pure Tseng Vesa driver
If I use univbe again I get lesser Vesa modes again but not they aren't reduced as much...the PC Player benchmark starts but locks of and trashes the screen
I think this motherboard is bugged out 😳

Reply 12 of 12, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

I think this motherboard is bugged out

No, your mainboard is most likely OK. You just have quirky video cards... 😉

Amigaz wrote:

Tried the pcpbench testbench program but it refuses to run since it says I'm missing a vesa mode called "100"
This happens with both univbe running and have also tested s3vbe20 VESA driver..same result

The PCPBench README mentions that some S3-based chipsets are buggy and won't support VESA mode 100 (640x400x8). As workaround they suggest starting the benchmark in mode 101 (640x480x8) with the "/400LINES" parameter to keep the results comparable.
Unfortunately this also means that you're out of luck with this card if a game wants to use mode 100 and doesn't offer other modes.

For VESA test/fix utilities, have a look at this thread.

Amigaz wrote:

Just tried a Tseng ET4000W32p 2mb based Hercules Dynamite, now I can get PC Player working if I use a pure Tseng Vesa driver
If I use univbe again I get lesser Vesa modes again but not they aren't reduced as much...the PC Player benchmark starts but locks of and trashes the screen

Hmmm, maybe the card is damaged (often happens with VLB cards)? If the memory chips are socketed, make sure the chips make good contact with the sockets. Also check your VLB timings (waitstates).

...nice legs, btw 🤣