VOGONS

remember..monitor or adaptor

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i want feel the real emotion of cga colours i find a commodire 1084s monitor with tv out 9din to connect a cga .i ask if really best purchase a converter to connect old pc to a tv?.what type of solution is the best?monitor will payy 60€ afaptor40€!monitor can use only with my old pc and other question it ok for use with it??!in a reply of you i wait

Reply 4 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, the Commodore 1084 series (and similar, such as the Microvitec CUB) are pretty much just crt tv's without a tuner (the dot pitch is definitely closer to tv specs than monitor - which hides some of the low res nastiness on older systems).

They work on 15khz RGB mind, rather than 31khz you get from VGA, so you will need to drive them with suitable video modes. VGA probably won't work without fudging. RGB SCART from older consoles/computers is fine.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea these Amiga monitors where basically TVs with RGB connectors and monitor controls for position and size.

However I believe they might have a different coating, geared towards high contrast and fast moving content and maybe tighter QA regarding focusing if the beams.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it have Scart? IMO look for an Amiga monitor with Scart. It will make life a lot easier with consoles and things like that.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

imo who is? yes the philips have a rgb out for cga i will buy a cga cable...

I can't decipher exactly what you're trying to say there... But if you're asking whether the monitor in the picture will accept CGA, then yes, if you switch the 'RGB mode' to digital, it should work with a CGA input.

Reply 11 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The question is whether you really want to pay 60€ for it. If you get one in good condition, it seems like a fair deal, but make sure it really works before buying it. The 1084 series was notorious for failures because of cheap construction.

Reply 12 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another one to look for is the Phillips 8823 - which is basically the same hardware as the 1084.

The 9 pin D connector pinouts are available in loads of places - you should be able to hook both analogue (SCART, 15khz RGB etc) and digital (TTL level stuff; BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum etc) stuff up to it as it can be converted between the two modes via the digital/analogue switch you've shown.

There are *lots* of variants of the 1084 - the best ones to hold out for will have 9-pin D connector, RGB SCART socket and stereo speakers. The CM8823 also has a similar array of slightly different models with different sets of connectors!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net