VOGONS

First post, by NViousGK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. I am quite new here, but at the same time, I've been lurking in the background for a little while and watching for trends. I hope someone here can help me.

I have an IBM 5161 expansion unit I want to connect to an original IBM 5150 PC.. The PC and expansion units are both in great shape, but I am missing the extender card that installs into the PC in order to connect the expansion unit and make it work. Basically the expansion unit is worthless without the extender card. So, does anyone here happen to either have a set of expansion cards and the connecting cable, or just the original extender card for this system? 😕

Basically, the part I am looking for is listed as "Extender card: Part No. 9529252"

If you have one, or know where I can buy one, I would greatly appreciate being able to get one to replace the missing card.

Thank you very much. Hope to hear from you soon.

Nudists have nothing to hide!

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you inquire here :

http://www.codemicro.com/store/product/Ibm-15 … Refurbished.php

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 5, by NViousGK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought the set on Code Micro looked pretty good. I guess they couldn't get past the actual issue of compatability. When I told them exactly what it was for is when I was told to get a new computer...

Reply 3 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet its run by some crusty old guy with a warehouse full of parts that he does not know diddly-squat about.

I don't think they would know what to do with it, and frankly they sound like they wouldn't care either. All you should be concerned with is whether they have the part. I wouldn't even ask if it is working, as even if it isn't there are no custom logic chips on either the extender or receiver boards, so they can be fixed.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 5, by NViousGK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that's what it almost sounded like, but in either case, I got lucky. I now have a complete set. So when my expansion unit arrives here on Friday, I'll be ready. The new cards I have just ordered will be here tomorrow. A private membe who lives in Southern Cal gave them to me, and since I live in Vegas, overnight was only an additional $10.00.

Reply 5 of 5, by NViousGK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got lucky; serously lucky. The extender and receiver cards I currently have ARE the ones I need for the expansion unit I bought. So when it is delivered on Friday, I'll need to install what I want into it and then install the extender into my PC. The rest is just configuring the PC ro read the hardware as though it were installed in the computer itself. Then the other parts I'll be getting will be used to build another expansion unit which will go up for sale. Right now thoug, I am a very happy old geek.