VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Boy I just can't stop posting today. >_> Asking everything at once before i'm on vacation I guess hoping to find good news when back on at least one project. 😀

As listed in my other postings I was a huge fan of sensaura... I played Thief the Dark Project, Thief 2 and System Shock 2 on a win98 PC with an older Sensaura based card and was absolutely blown away with headphones... I could tell whether guys were 1 or 2 or 3 levels below or above me from sound alone and track them through an entire complex several rooms away. The directional cues were phenomenal - vastly superior to the Creative crap, including Xfi by what I can tell. Xfi may have the echo but it didn't have the positional accuracy. (or it didn't playing old Dark Engine games, maybe it will on some newer title with some newer support)

Ever since then i've wanted to create the experience and build up a rig just for playing Sensaura specific games. I note there are modern 7.1 cards claiming support for the Sensaura HRTF - for instance the X-Meridian 7.1 from Auzentech. Though out of production now it was the newest one I could find supporting the technology.

Did anyone make a newer/higher tech card than the above one? Earlier ASUS Xonar D2 cards seemed to list Sensaura as supported... i'm not sure what else was out there at the tail end of the technology.

Many Sensaura cards list A3D 2.0 as supported... fans of A3D claim this is usually a low quality hack routed thru DS3D. Were there any which were not?

Does anyone know if later implementations of Sensaura were superior to earlier ones? (just like EAX 5.0 vs EAX 3.0, were there version numbers of the tech to go by?) Early versions of Sensaura often on motherboards had various complaints - high cpu use, lower quality transforms, buggy in some games... this is confusing to me because the dedicated PCI card I had (whose model I don't remember) was incredible quality to me. Maybe it was only the on board chips that were problematic. 😒

What games specifically supported the technology? Were any better with it than they were with A3D for instance? I know Thief the Dark Project has a Sensaura video clip that plays if a card is in the system... it's supported in Thief 2 and System Shock 2 as well but no video clip plays. However Dark Engine games for most people had problems with Sensaura apparently or at least complaints. (I didn't complain but others commonly do) Were there any other games that had specific support and stood out as really showing it off?

I know there are a number of games said to show off A3D (including Thief, but also Unreal and Half Life) and i'm trying to see whether any show off Sensaura, esp in a better than A3D fashion. (sounds like Thief is at least more reliably good on A3D)