VOGONS

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having problems with a file under dos 6.22. I downloaded some drivers and put them on a CD-R disc under windows 7. I try to install them on my old dos pc but one file has been renamed from V7-MIR.LIF to V7_MIR.LIF and the installer wont complete.

I tried copying them to the HDD and renaming the file back but the installer then says DISK.ID is not original and wont continue.

Anyone have any idea what is happening? 😵

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the files? Did you download them as a zip file? If so try just copying the zip file onto CD and using pkunzip.exe under DOS to extract it.

Its also a good idea to remove the read-only attribute when you've copied files from CD under DOS. Use this command:
attrib -r *.*

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 6, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. Its vesa drivers for a SPEA V7-MIRAGE I downloaded them from the driver section on this site as part of SPEA MediaGallery 05 95 complete driver cd. It downloaded in a rar file can i get a rar unpacker for dos?

Reply 3 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last RAR for MS-DOS: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarx393.exe
About the renaming: the iso 9660 standard for the names - uppercase letters, underline and dot? no spaces. So - of course "-" was replaced by "_".

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 6, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I just tried using rar and unpacking them on the old pc but i get the DISK.ID error still. It really wants to be run from a cd i guess.

How can I burn the rar files to a cd with out changing the - to a _ ?

Reply 5 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

can't you do a subst ? it might search in the root of a drive for that DISK.ID file

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 6, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That last thing did it I had no idea dos had this feature. Thanks alot guys each suggestion helped towards fixing the problem. I wasn’t expecting to get responses so quickly. The installer now works and the driver is installed. Plus I learned some new stuff. 😎