VOGONS

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any way to make it the dos prompt start at c:\ not c:\windows when I boot into a pure dos mode? I tried editing the lines windows adds to the bottem of the autoexec to c:\ but after I reload windows it just resets the dos autoexec to c:\windows again.

Its a small but annoying pain getting c:\windows every time and having to go back to the root.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try adding "cd\" at the bottom of the autoexec file in a new line. If it's not working, try adding the same to the other autoexec file that windows keeps. (It changes between two copies for windows and dos mode.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 4, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm messing with Win95 DOS mode for the first time and trying to get everything figured out as well. Are you using the method where you make a shortcut to command.com? It seems Windows automatically adds lines to change to the directory of the shortcut target at the end of autoexec, even though it doesn't show up in the shortcut window. You can see this if you look at autoexec while in DOS mode. An easy workaround (assuming it works the same with both 98 and 95) would be to put a copy of command.com in your C:\ directory and just have the shortcut point to it instead of the one in C:\Windows. For some reason my installation of 95 had one in C:\ anyways, so I just used it.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

For some reason my installation of 95 had one in C:\ anyways, so I just used it.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows will not boot at all if there is no command.com in C:\ . Good reason. 🤣

Reply 4 of 4, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Windows will not boot at all if there is no command.com in C:\ . Good reason. 🤣

Haha well that explains it then 🤣

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.