VOGONS

First post, by hdon6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having issues setting up a USB wheel (Logitech Wingman Formula GP) and getting it to run properly in Carmageddon, running on Windows 7 64bit, through DosBox.

The game appears to be setup correctly. It runs the game well using a keyboard. I've set up the USB wheel in windows.

The dosbox config settings are set as: Joystick type: auto, Timed: true, autofire: false, swap34: false, buttonwrap: false.

The joystick must be setup in game to play correctly. With the above dosbox settings saved in the config I can run through the ingame setup for the wheel, however the "timed" setting set to "true" in dosbox causes the numbers to erratically jump all over the place even without moving either the pedals or the wheel. I run through the setup setting the limits of the axis for both the wheel and the pedals, then assign the buttons and axis functions. When the game launches the controls are erratic, the car wanting to pull hard to the left.

I read through the instructions (and other info I could find online) and saw that the "timed" setting is likely giving me problems. I set it to false, reconfigured the wheel in the game and it assigns the upper/lower limits of the axis for pedals and steering (it has a lower range of numbers, but is smoother and isn't jumping numbers up and down like before), but when that is saved it does not recognize the wheel when I go to assign the functions (turn left, accelerate etc.). Launching the game then, results in no control over the car.

Is there a way to get aroound the jittery number jumping and erratic handling of the "timed: true" setting, or a way to get the game to recognize the wheel for in game config with "timed: false" in dosbox? Is there another setup config I should use to get this to work properly?

btw With the Joystick type set to auto, dosbox reports the following lines:
"One joystick reported, initilizing with 4axis.
Using Joystick Wingman Formula GP with 2 axes, 6 buttons, and 0 hat(s)"

Reply 1 of 1, by hdon6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More. I tried a different wheel Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro Digital 2. It worked, but had a bit of a deadspot in the middle. I recalibrated in Windows 7, and recalibrated the axes in game, but the wheel no longer assigns functions to any of the axes or buttons in game. So for some reason recalibrating is causing the wheel to no longer be seen when assigning buttons and axes. I tried resetting the keymapper, but it still doens't alloew the wheel to work. Is there anything I can do short of a reinstall?