VOGONS

First post, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've been lurking this great forum for a while but it's my first post, sorry it's one asking for help!

I've recently finished building this retro gaming rig which I want to dual boot 98SE and XP. Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
EPoX 8RDA3i Motherboard (nForce 2 Ultra, full 98SE driver support)
2GB PC2100 DDR RAM
ATI 9800PRO 128gb AGP video card
2x 12MB Voodoo 2 SLI
2x 80GB IDE Hard Drives
IDE DVD-RW
400w FSP PSU

The system works great but i've got a problem getting 98SE to behave with all the RAM installed. I know that there's a problem with more than 512MB of ram in 98se, i've played with the MaxPhysPage, MinFileCache and MaxFileCache settings but I can't seem to get it to work right. Does anyone have any suggested values for these?

As a side note I had a problem getting the voodoo 2 to work alongside the 9800pro but this fixed it http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1839

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Reply 1 of 10, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome aboard, SBB! 😀

I haven't personally tried installing Win98SE on more than 1GB myself, but I've researched a bit before. There's more than one way to make it work. Have you read this thread on MSFN?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to … than-1-gib-ram/

Also consider this "unofficial SP3": www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/

Reply 3 of 10, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I couldn't even properly install Forceware drivers for an FX5900 Ultra under Windows 98SE with the setup I have below. I wanted to dual boot that and Windows 2000 Pro originally and could never get that setup working with 2GB of ram. I had it all set up to limit 98SE to 512MB of memory, but that didn't do anything in regards to stability. Never even bothered trying to run on only 512MB because I had another board I was going to dedicate to a 98SE installation anyway.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 4 of 10, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found a way to get it working with 2 GB of RAM + 256 MB VRAM (GeForce 6800 Ultra), but you won't like the fact that it costs $21.

Yes, it's that RAM limitation patch occasionally mentioned in MSFN, that thread included.

Some people have proposed other workarounds like creating a RAM disk that eats up a lot of memory prior to Win98SE booting up so that it only sees 512 MB, but I don't know how well that works in practice due to how sensitive programs of that period are to memory addressing.

Oh, and I tried the unofficial 98 SE SP3, and unfortunately, the "main fixes" option actually seems to break some games (and causes Aureal Vortex SB Pro emulation to BSoD the system if enabled). Thus, I don't truly use it, even if I do apply some of the other included fixes like the DST fix.

Reply 5 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why do you need more then 512 Mb RAM in 98/ME?
I always just use msconfig and set /maxmem=512.
Ans have 1 512 Mb DIMM, because this solution isn't working in the Win9x installing.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 10, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Why do you need more then 512 Mb RAM in 98/ME?
I always just use msconfig and set /maxmem=512.
Ans have 1 512 Mb DIMM, because this solution isn't working in the Win9x installing.

It's not a matter of needing more than 512 MB of RAM.

It's a matter of getting Win9x to just run reliably without having to physically limit the system to 512 MB of RAM, which really hinders XP if you're going for that kind of a dual-boot setup. (XP ideally wants at least 2 GB of RAM to run smooth. 1 GB is passable, and 512 MB is the practical minimum.)

Needless to say, opening up the computer case and swapping out RAM all the time is highly inconvenient for a dual-boot system.

Reply 7 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install Win9x with 1 512 Mb DIMM and disabled Hyperthreading.
Run msconfig and set Boot.ini/Advanced Options/MAXMEM=512.
Restart.
Shut down and install full 2 Gb Ram.
The result - Win9x is booting properly and is using only 512 Mb from 2 Gb RAM.
Install WinXp.

/MAXMEM is the software limiter, not hardware. Unfortunately there is no easy way to apply this limiter at the Windows setup, only after.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

because interest in win98 had dropped to very-very low by the time when ~768 MB - 1 GB RAM became standard. That was the summit of XP.
Only retro enthiusiasts are interested in the patches. Almost all serious/productive win9x applications also work on XP in a way or other.

I am a dedicated fan of Loew, he wrote the most reliable and useful patches for the ultimate win9x rig. If you mean business with win9x, this is the way to go. His free fixes can help a lot as well.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 10 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got 1GB in my 440BX system running Win98SE. Can't remember how I installed it, just that I googled the problem, found a solution and that have been stable since.

Had to limit to 768 for Win95 though.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes