VOGONS

Too new for old

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Yeah but that's a limitation that you have with any 32-bit OS. 😉 As far as SMP optimization goes I have seen benchmarks where XP performed slightly better and some where Vista/7 was ahead. So unless proven otherwise I'd say they're equal in this department.

It's a bit of a shame that XP x64 was so exotic...

I have been debating whether to repair XP x64 on my dual core PC or do a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit to dual boot with XP x86. I had that thing running quite well with XP x64 and x86 dual boot before I upgraded the RAM and video card. Also, Windows 7 64-bit never failed at any application I could could run in XP x64.

Reply 21 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think XP has some stuff that was dropped since Vista, including the IPX protocol, game port support and built-in MIDI synth change. Not sure about XP x64 with all that though. IMO XP x86 is very much suited as an OS for Win95 until DX9 games. I haven't used Win7 much with older games, but heard first hand of an annoying color issue with Age of Empires 2 for example, where you supposedly have to use the task manager every time to fix it. Heard about issues with DX11 backwards compatibility as well which really shouldn't be there.

Still running XP x86 on my main comp and nothing else. I'll add Win7 x64 when they bring out a game that's worth it, like UT4... without DLCs 😀 or maybe when I grow tired enough of that RAM limitation. Modern browsers are horrible RAM hogs.