VOGONS

(Hell)o

Topic actions

First post, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everybody, new user freshly registered on those fine forums here

I'm from Spain, I'm 37 years old, and I'm on a (crazy) quest: build my very own retro gaming box from bits and parts collected over the years, and stuff fom e-bay.

I believe I got everything I need for what I want to do... all, except the sound part...

I've been following many threads about sound on these forums, and I think I almost got it, but I'm kind of lost and need some help from you people, if you don't mind.

What I want to do:

Run DOS/Win 9x games

What I got:

- Intel Pentium II 400/100 FSB
- Kingston 256 MB SDRAM PC100
- Asus P3V4X (Via Apollo Pro133A/1xAGP/6x PCI/1x ISA)
- Generic Voodoo 1
- #9 Savage Extreme 16MB AGP
- Yamaha DB50XG
- Loads of patience and masochistic tendencies

My problem is:

I'm lost in the Sound Blaster Labyrinth of Doom. I got myself a DB50XG daughterboard, but now I have to find the the card that will support it.

After reading miles of prose all over the net, I think I need this:

Sound Blaster 16 without CSP chip, DB header, CT1745A-S mixer, real OPL-3 chip (not CT1747), no PnP. Does that card exist, and if it does, what would its model number be?

Thanks a lot for your help, I know something similar has been asked hundreds of times but my poor brain can't sort all that info out 🙁

Reply 1 of 10, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PoulpSquad wrote:
My problem is: […]
Show full quote

My problem is:

I'm lost in the Sound Blaster Labyrinth of Doom. I got myself a DB50XG daughterboard, but now I have to find the the card that will support it.

After reading miles of prose all over the net, I think I need this:

Sound Blaster 16 without CSP chip, DB header, CT1745A-S mixer, real OPL-3 chip (not CT1747), no PnP. Does that card exist, and if it does, what would its model number be?

Thanks a lot for your help, I know something similar has been asked hundreds of times but my poor brain can't sort all that info out 🙁

Actually, you should get a CT-1747 card. They have a true OPL3 inside, are pre-PnP, and don't seem to suffer from the hanging note bug. There is nothing wrong with having a CT1748 ASP/CSP chip. Try the Sound Blaster 16 CT1790 or CT2910. It has an OPL3, CT1745A-S mixer and a socket for the CT1748 and is not a PnP. The CT2290 has the CT1747 chip and only solder pads for a ASP/CSP chip.

Try the Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3980. It has the CT1745A-S mixer, the CT-1747 chip and the wavetable header. Just make sure your case is long and wide enough to fit it.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 10, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your reply, that was helpful!

I couldn't locate a 2910 (doesn't exist? http://www.ask.asia.creative.com/wwenglish/ge … _list_audio.htm), so I got myself a CT2230. I hope I didn't do something stupid xD. I think I had one very similar back in 1993/1994, it was actually called "Sound Blaster 16 ASP Omni CD"... if I recall correctly the sound was... interesting... we'll leave it at that out of mercy for the poor thing ^^

Also got myself 2 Audicians 32 Plus for 2 pounds... how could I resist... I don't even know if those pins on the card are an actual DB header 🤣

Looks like I'll have to get me a motherboard with 2x ISA slots... oh well...

Reply 3 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PoulpSquad wrote:

so I got myself a CT2230. I hope I didn't do something stupid xD.

You didn't. I've got the same card with the same daughter board (NEC clone) and it works very nicely. Never noticed any "hanging notes bug". In my opinion it is one of the exaggerated problems in the retro community, but that is another topic.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 10, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I can see that in your signature. I'm glad I got it right, prices are overblown on ebay for this retro stuff...

I'm almost there, let me see if I'm not totally dumb:

ISA slot 1 Sound Blaster AWE gold to speakers, disabled MIDI

ISA slot 2 Sound Blaster CT2230+DB or Audician+DB to SB 64's line in

I suppose I only have to set FM/GM on SB64 to non-standard settings (same on ISA slot 2, mess digital audio) and I'm all set... any way to totally disable FM or digital audio on those cards?

Then last hurdle, I read on these forums a DB won't fit on an Audician and needs an extension wire. I've searched around but I couldn't find any. Does that exist or do I have to make it myself (I sucketh balls at soldering/wiring)?

Sheesh. How did we survive the '90s?

Reply 5 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

jump here:

Daughter board ribbon cable for sound cards.

bottom line for all thumbers like us was:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111006152607?ssPag … #ht_2764wt_1163

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 10, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot, that is great stuff!

But I'm still afraid the soldering iron would bite me... it looks at me funny sometimes, so I found this instead:

http://www.shoptronica.com/tira-de-postes-pin … dado-largo.html

Reply 7 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No...
Read the last post by badmofo on the provided link or ask him to re-send the missing photos - YOU DO NOT NEED TO SOLDER, that was the point.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 9 of 10, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to the Forum PoulpSquad. Muy buenas!
I have a Sound Blaster Ct2230 + DB50XG daughterboard with no hanging note. I don't know if all of the Ct2230's are the same though.
I'm from Spain as well if you have any questions here I am!

Reply 10 of 10, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hola, muy buenas xD

I'm glad you don't have any problems with that combo. I ordered mine with an empty socket, so I guess I won't have any problems either. After 20 years using Creative hardware I still don't know what's the use for that CSP anyway, so it's not like I'm going to miss it ^^

Maybe someday, if I'm really bored and have money to waste (yeah right 🙄 ), I'll hunt for a 4.05, just for the sake of completion...

Thanks a lot for the welcoming words, I've been learning a lot of new stuff here 😀

On a side note, the header I was hoping would make my day arrived today.
I must admit I'm less than impressed, so I'm getting that 26 pins rainbow queen ribbon from ebay and hopefully be done with that xD