VOGONS

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anybody discovered a workaround, wrapper, or settings that would let me use my 360 as a regular old joytick for games like Wing Commander, Strike Commander, Tie Fighter, and the like? Or should I just try to find an inexpensive flight stick that connects to something BESIDES the game port on legacy soundcards (which my machine lacks). I'm playing this on a pretty recent machine, so I doubt picking up an old MS Sidewinder stick, is going to be an option.

I know their are good flight sticks out there that work on modern machines, but the good ones are MUCH too expensive. Especially for something to just relive my childhood.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you referring to an XBox 360 controller? Are you unable to use it with DOSBox?

There is certainly no way you will be able to use a USB controller with a DOS game without DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 4, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Are you referring to an XBox 360 controller? Are you unable to use it with DOSBox?

There is certainly no way you will be able to use a USB controller with a DOS game without DOSBox.

Yeah, my wireless 360 controller just seems to not be recognized by DOSBox. I dunno if I misconfigured something, or what.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There have been many posts in the past about getting XBox 360 controllers working with DOSBox.

If I'm not mistaken, you need to set joysticktype to fcs. You may also need the SVN Daum version, which includes a particular patch.

Reply 4 of 4, by Quadko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want a quick way to test how well a joystick is working in dosbox and which axes are being used with the current configuration, I wrote a little dos program to do that. It's much faster than loading the game to find out:
http://joelmcintyre.com/joymon.html