VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 901 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Extract D3DImm.dll and dgVoodooSetup.exe to the game directory. […]
Show full quote

Extract D3DImm.dll and dgVoodooSetup.exe to the game directory.

(If you use dgvoodooSetup.exe make sure the conf file it creates is also placed in the game directory.)

DDraw.dll has to be put in a different directory! for example C:\dgVoodoo\ .

Then open aqrit.cfg and replace
RealDDrawPath =AUTO
with
RealDDrawPath = C:\dgVoodoo\ddraw.dll

Dege, can you comment on this? DgVoodoo seems to behave somewhat inconsistently with this method. Some people have to move D3DImm.dll (and possibly dgVoodoo.conf) into the game folder and some into the dgVoodoo folder. A workaround is renaming DDraw.dll and putting everything into the game folder but I'm curious where dgVoodoo is supposed to look for the files it needs.

Reply 902 of 3949, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Dege wrote:
Glide or D3D renderer? I've tried it with both and worked fine. Since the game doesn't let you to set the resolution, I suppose […]
Show full quote

Glide or D3D renderer? I've tried it with both and worked fine. Since the game doesn't let you to set the resolution, I suppose you use Glide with a forced resolution.
Lens flare were broken in the sense that I saw a big crosshair on them.
The only issue I experienced that dgvoodoo's ddraw and Glide couldn't work together at startup.

I hope it was the Glide renderer. It seems some ATI drivers (for HD7xxx, R9) has issues with it.
I suspect it has to do sg with Glide shaders, the driver cannot translate (one of) them and gets into infinite loop(?).
It shouldn't be a problem because the shader binaries are compiled by MS FXC, they aren't "handmade".
The only way trace it down and workaround this is commenting out parts of the shader(s) step by step and see if it still drives the driver into a buggy path.
I don't have such an ATI card unfortunately, ... but maybe maybe I could borrow one from my workplace somehow.

Yes, the Glide renderer.

I'm using the GoG version. Nglide is already included and there are also crosshairs in the lensflares btw.

I know I'm a little late, but the fan opengl render is superior, and guaranteed to work on your modern system.
http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/OpenGL_Patch

And can also be used with a framerate patch
http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/13013

Reply 903 of 3949, by alien41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I would like to thank you for this tool.

I'm trying to run Mechwarrior 4 mercs using dgvoddo 2.44 to be able to play it in 3D. After a few minutes of gameplay , the game closes and returns to windows . On the main directory, it generates a log file with the following content :
STOP: FAILED ( 0x80004005 - WINERR_Unspecified error) - GetDC ( 0x7aa3cf8 ) - ( 0x007311DD ) .

Any advices?

My Rig:
i7 3770k @4.4
16gb RAM
GTX 970 SLI
Windows 8.1

Reply 904 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darklord42 wrote:
I know I'm a little late, but the fan opengl render is superior, and guaranteed to work on your modern system. http://www.wcnew […]
Show full quote
teleguy wrote:
Dege wrote:
Glide or D3D renderer? I've tried it with both and worked fine. Since the game doesn't let you to set the resolution, I suppose […]
Show full quote

Glide or D3D renderer? I've tried it with both and worked fine. Since the game doesn't let you to set the resolution, I suppose you use Glide with a forced resolution.
Lens flare were broken in the sense that I saw a big crosshair on them.
The only issue I experienced that dgvoodoo's ddraw and Glide couldn't work together at startup.

I hope it was the Glide renderer. It seems some ATI drivers (for HD7xxx, R9) has issues with it.
I suspect it has to do sg with Glide shaders, the driver cannot translate (one of) them and gets into infinite loop(?).
It shouldn't be a problem because the shader binaries are compiled by MS FXC, they aren't "handmade".
The only way trace it down and workaround this is commenting out parts of the shader(s) step by step and see if it still drives the driver into a buggy path.
I don't have such an ATI card unfortunately, ... but maybe maybe I could borrow one from my workplace somehow.

Yes, the Glide renderer.

I'm using the GoG version. Nglide is already included and there are also crosshairs in the lensflares btw.

I know I'm a little late, but the fan opengl render is superior, and guaranteed to work on your modern system.

While the game looks much better lensflares seem to be missing completely.

Reply 905 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just finished implementing texture compression and found the bug causing that emulationonly failure (finally I could reproduce it myself).

I think I could release a WIP from the current state, though I haven't yet deal with everything I wanted to (like the colorkeying method).

Dege, can you comment on this? DgVoodoo seems to behave somewhat inconsistently with this method. Some people have to move D3DImm.dll (and possibly dgVoodoo.conf) into the game folder and some into the dgVoodoo folder. A workaround is renaming DDraw.dll and putting everything into the game folder but I'm curious where dgVoodoo is supposed to look for the files it needs.

It's strange, DDraw.dll uses LoadLibrary to load D3DImm.dll which searches in the folder of the executable first, as far as I know. I don't have an idea at the moment. I hardly think it depends on Windows version.

I know I'm a little late, but the fan opengl render is superior, and guaranteed to work on your modern system. http://www.wcnew […]
Show full quote

The lensflare must be broken because of forced resolution (with Glide). I guess it's tiled from 4 textures and the inner border becomes visible at other than the default res.

I'm trying to run Mechwarrior 4 mercs using dgvoddo 2.44 to be able to play it in 3D. After a few minutes of gameplay , the game closes and returns to windows . On the main directory, it generates a log file with the following content :
STOP: FAILED ( 0x80004005 - WINERR_Unspecified error) - GetDC ( 0x7aa3cf8 ) - ( 0x007311DD ) .

Any advices?

I should have a look at it myself. Are there steps to reproduce it? I mean, going to a certain position in the game, or take various actions in a given order?

Reply 906 of 3949, by alien41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
alien41 wrote:

Any advices?

I should have a look at it myself. Are there steps to reproduce it? I mean, going to a certain position in the game, or take various actions in a given order?

Hi dege; Thx for repply!!!

I upload a video, take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkyR-WKLx4&feature=youtu.be

Reply 907 of 3949, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
teleguy wrote:
Darklord42 wrote:
Show full quote

While the game looks much better lensflares seem to be missing completely.

So basically it's running a de-J.J.Abrams filter? 😉

Reply 908 of 3949, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot why they didn't implement it. Maybe they couldn't as dege theorized. Anyways, it is a very small price to pay for every other benefit, including HCL's DVD patch which needs it. Everything looks so much better. I believe it does use higher res textures to boot.

Reply 909 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I've just compiled a WIP version:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP8.zip

What I can recall about what I've done so far are

- true multidevice support
- OLE support for DirectDraw
- High res extension support in Glide (concept by VEG and Zeus)
- Block compression encoder added
- Minor 3D rendering bug(s) fixed, related to state blocks
- DDraw failed at emulation only mode, fixed
- Other minor DDraw icompatibilities are fixed

Since this version includes a large amount of refactored code (needed for other planned features) it implies that I might have broken something. Or a lot of thing.

alien41 wrote:

Hi dege; Thx for repply!!!

I upload a video, take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkyR-WKLx4&feature=youtu.be

Hmm! Thanks for the video! Some day I'm going to check that game.

Reply 910 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Valkyrie: The Magical Odyssey works now. Edit: that said disable smoothed bitmaps and it complains that "the video is in an unsupported mode" (supposed to be 320x200).

Total Annihilation Kingdoms still fails to find D3D render (last time you said it was because of lack of OLE support).

I don't have it installed at the moment, but did you figure out what was wrong with Breath of Fire IV?

Reply 911 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested a few games with the new release candidate, and I found a few regressions and otherwise non-native issues:

• [Issue] Space Hack: Mission briefing text is oddly stretched in places.
  • [Issue] Battle Realms: The textures comprising the shuriken in the main menu have their seams showing.
  • [Regression] Empire Earth (Base Game): Mouse transparency is broken.
  • [Issue] Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest: Menus are broken, rarely responding to mouse input if at all; sporadically flashes on-screen; cannot start game or modify in-game settings.

Reply 913 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Valkyrie: The Magical Odyssey works now. Edit: that said disable smoothed bitmaps and it complains that "the video is in an unsupported mode" (supposed to be 320x200).

As far as I remember, that game required some weird 3D capabilities for 3D rendered ingame which can't be supported (8 bit z-buffer or sg like that) but I'll check it again.

ZellSF wrote:

Total Annihilation Kingdoms still fails to find D3D render (last time you said it was because of lack of OLE support).

Yes, it was because of that. But I found another issue which prevents detecting D3D devices. It's solvable but I have to reverse engineer sg in native DX to put that clear. It seems I didn't tested that game again but only Valkyrie and a scene demo... 😀

ZellSF wrote:

I don't have it installed at the moment, but did you figure out what was wrong with Breath of Fire IV?

I haven't debugged it yet, so unfortunately it must still be the same.

HunterZ wrote:

I appear to have a spare Steam key for Space Hack that I would be willing to donate to Dege if it would help with dgVoodoo2 development.

Thanks for that! But I have that game. 😀

Expack3 wrote:

[Issue] Space Hack: Mission briefing text is oddly stretched in places.

Indeed, I've just quickly checked it.

Expack3 wrote:

[Regression] Empire Earth (Base Game): Mouse transparency is broken.

I hate regression bugs but I have a guess about the reason, I must reverse engineer that too.

Expack3 wrote:

[Issue] Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest: Menus are broken, rarely responding to mouse input if at all; sporadically flashes on-screen; cannot start game or modify in-game settings.

I can't try it at the moment but isn't vsync forced through dgVoodoo(setup)? According to the symptoms it looks like the issue with Icewind Dale II with forced vsync.

Reply 914 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Expack3 wrote:
Expack3 wrote:

[Issue] Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest: Menus are broken, rarely responding to mouse input if at all; sporadically flashes on-screen; cannot start game or modify in-game settings.

I can't try it at the moment but isn't vsync forced through dgVoodoo(setup)? According to the symptoms it looks like the issue with Icewind Dale II with forced vsync.

Not in this case! In fact, the game's default settings had in-game vsync enabled by default. Strangely, though, also forcing vsync through dgVoodoo 2 gave me enough time to try disabling in-game vsync, force-exit via the Windows Task Manager, then restart the game without dgVoodoo2 forcing vsync. Still did nothing.

Oddly, though, in-game vsync in this game actually fixes the mouse-transparency bug!

Also, as something which might help in your reverse engineering, the end-game statistics screen in Empire Earth seems to use Windows Forms for its output. I say this because I got an un-reproducible bug whereby the elements of the end-game statistics screen briefly had a Windows Forms-style 3D border (e.g. a faux-3D bevel).

Reply 915 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What does it mean when a game's configuration utility fails to enumerate devices when dgVoodoo 2's DDraw and D3DImm dlls are present in the directory of the game's binaries?

The game I'm struggling with is Soulbringer. Of all the DirectDraw games I've tested that Windows 8(.1)'s broken flip behavior has made unplayable, this one has by far the biggest framerate hit: it runs at 2-3 fps. It has no Glide support and a D3D wrapper is the only way to possibly play the game on any OS newer than Windows 7. The configuration utility which would normally show the usual "Direct3D device," "Direct3D device with Hardware T&L" etc. shows nothing at all with dgVoodoo 2 in place. All manner of manual config editing yields makes no difference: the engine fails to load entirely. The result is the same with the latest WIP. If it's relevant, the game has software (limited to 8-bit), DX6, DX7 HAL, and DX7 HAL T&L renderers standard.

Is this potentially the same issue as with TA:K?

I'm happy to test any ideas.

Last edited by galneon on 2015-07-07, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 916 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deus Ex (GOTY Edition) crashes when using dgVoodoo 2 and standard DirectX rendering (i.e. not one of the third-party DX9/11/OGL drivers) with the following message:

---------------------------
Critical Error
---------------------------
D3D Driver: Lock failed while loading system surface (DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS)

History: UD3DRenderDevice::SetTexture <- UD3DRenderDevice::DrawComplexSurface <- URender::DrawFrame <- UD3DRenderDevice::Unlock <- UViewport::Unlock <- UWindowsViewport::Unlock <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- XGameEngineExt::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Reply 917 of 3949, by SilentHeaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening everyone.
Finally I can play Black Mirror on Steam, but I encountered a problem using dgVoodoo2 with it: all is emulated perfecly aside for the cursor and text that are located in the game bars on top and bottom.

NORMAL
EmyWSG6.jpg?1

PROBLEM
gwDjFsF.jpg?1

As you can see the mouse pointer and the text acts like they leave a "trail" of themselves that persist until you change room or place. I tried every possible combination of settings, but no luck until now. Moreover, I'm using Virtual SVGA because if I switch to Virtual 3D the game have some major trasparent issues (pink artifacts).
These, instead, are my actual settings.

SETTINGS
WDagrnB.png?1

Thanks in advice (:

Reply 918 of 3949, by ricardokung

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.I'm trying to run Tomb Raider 1(Steam version) with DGvoodoo2 to play It with 3d Vision.When I put Glide2x.dll(from 3dfx DGvoodooo folder) in the game folder,3d Vision kicks in(3dfx logo and game),but only in 800x600 resolution.I changed resolution in the dosboxTR.conf(1920x1080 and aspect=true)and It has no effect in game.Any help,please?.
Windows 7x64-I7 4790k-8gb ram-gtx 660 ti-3d Vision kit

Reply 919 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
galneon wrote:
What does it mean when a game's configuration utility fails to enumerate devices when dgVoodoo 2's DDraw and D3DImm dlls are pre […]
Show full quote

What does it mean when a game's configuration utility fails to enumerate devices when dgVoodoo 2's DDraw and D3DImm dlls are present in the directory of the game's binaries?

The game I'm struggling with is Soulbringer. Of all the DirectDraw games I've tested that Windows 8(.1)'s broken flip behavior has made unplayable, this one has by far the biggest framerate hit: it runs at 2-3 fps. It has no Glide support and a D3D wrapper is the only way to possibly play the game on any OS newer than Windows 7. The configuration utility which would normally show the usual "Direct3D device," "Direct3D device with Hardware T&L" etc. shows nothing at all with dgVoodoo 2 in place. All manner of manual config editing yields makes no difference: the engine fails to load entirely. The result is the same with the latest WIP. If it's relevant, the game has software (limited to 8-bit), DX6, DX7 HAL, and DX7 HAL T&L renderers standard.

Is this potentially the same issue as with TA:K?

I'm happy to test any ideas.

Bad news: this game tries to initialize DDraw from DllMain... 😵 (3DMark does the same)
which is not supported by dgVoodoo because DX11 refuses to initialize in such circumstances.
It's a (really) bad programming technique and currently I have no idea how to workaround this case.
I think it would be better to patch the game itself somehow rather than adding support for this in dgVoodoo.

SilentHeaven wrote:
Good evening everyone. Finally I can play Black Mirror on Steam, but I encountered a problem using dgVoodoo2 with it: all is emu […]
Show full quote

Good evening everyone.
Finally I can play Black Mirror on Steam, but I encountered a problem using dgVoodoo2 with it: all is emulated perfecly aside for the cursor and text that are located in the game bars on top and bottom.

NORMAL
EmyWSG6.jpg?1

PROBLEM
gwDjFsF.jpg?1

As you can see the mouse pointer and the text acts like they leave a "trail" of themselves that persist until you change room or place. I tried every possible combination of settings, but no luck until now. Moreover, I'm using Virtual SVGA because if I switch to Virtual 3D the game have some major trasparent issues (pink artifacts).
These, instead, are my actual settings.

SETTINGS
WDagrnB.png?1

Thanks in advice (:

It must be a dgVoodoo bug, I must check it myself. If something doesn't run properly with default settings then it won't do with any other settings. 😀

ricardokung wrote:

Hi.I'm trying to run Tomb Raider 1(Steam version) with DGvoodoo2 to play It with 3d Vision.When I put Glide2x.dll(from 3dfx DGvoodooo folder) in the game folder,3d Vision kicks in(3dfx logo and game),but only in 800x600 resolution.I changed resolution in the dosboxTR.conf(1920x1080 and aspect=true)and It has no effect in game.Any help,please?.
Windows 7x64-I7 4790k-8gb ram-gtx 660 ti-3d Vision kit

Did you force the resolution through dgVoodoo setup?

There are some good news: I found the bug related to TA Kingdoms D3D device detection. Now that I fixed that, dgVoodoo also works with VEG's NFS3 patch with the DX6 thrash driver (and I even understand why it is 😀).
I fixed Space Hack text issue too.