VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2222 of 3949, by elnino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

----

I didn't forget about Jane's FA-18 and RE3, I just have little free time.

There is no problem at all, Thanks Dege.
After 10 years of so so success .. I.. , ( and probably We) dont mind a year or more to have decent results,(except that we'll be older 😎 ).
Call me oldfashioned or whatever, but quality overcomes fast production. (and bugs 😈 )

I'll be testing/reporting versions as they come.

Regards,
WF

Beneath a Steel Sky:
Lamb: What's that ROBOT doing here?
Foster: He's my PERSONAL ASSISTANT. Say Hello Joey
Joey: Hello, Joey.
Lamb: HUH! Pity it's got no BRAIN.

Reply 2223 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Formula 1 (97) from Psygnosis working properly. Its a D3D3 game (aswel as Glide2), probably a direct Playstation port or even emulation, but it feature different BSO and some upgrades like gouraud shading, much better render view and bilinear filtering.

imge4d489142bb6be3269951f1358178086.jpg

img1841f059e99f11d889b5aea7f8afeac8.jpg

No widescreen unfortunately, it was limited to 640x480 in D3D.

Reply 2224 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not working for me. Nothing happened after copying over the DirectX dlls. Tested with the scene demos given in the readme file. Any idea?
My spec:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Service Pack 1
DirectX 11.0
QuadCore Intel Core i7-4770K, 3900 MHz (39 x 100)
ASRock Z87 Killer (4 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
8122 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (2 GB)

Reply 2225 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Uhmm.... it doesn't sound good, too... So, DVI ports on your card are spoiled? 8-O (Nice screenshot, though.) […]
Show full quote
Expack3 wrote:

Just tested I-War 2 (Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos) with dgVoodoo2 and a NVIDIA Surround display mode (1x3, 5768x1080). Without dgVoodoo2, the game won't even accept the resolution; with it, it only goes up to 3072 x768. I also think my GPU puked when trying to do it as suddenly, the DVI-I ports on my GTX 970 both died. It was really weird, but as I wasn't using DVI-I except for NVIDIA Surround, I'm not going to try and get it replaced. Below is the full-res screenshot I was able to get before the DVI-I incident:

Uhmm.... it doesn't sound good, too...
So, DVI ports on your card are spoiled? 😳
(Nice screenshot, though.)

Yes, and only the DVI-I ports; the HDMI and DisplayPort ports still work. It could be a driver issue, but it seems odd that the issue just so happened to have occurred with a game which, normally, doesn't even support NVIDIA Surround.

Reply 2226 of 3949, by elnino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Expack3 wrote:

Yes, and only the DVI-I ports; the HDMI and DisplayPort ports still work. It could be a driver issue, but it seems odd that the issue just so happened to have occurred with a game which, normally, doesn't even support NVIDIA Surround.

Hmm, its probably late now but did you have vsync turned off? , and fps like 1xxx,.. and high pitch coil whining , like condenser sound

You could try "rebake" your card in owen @250<300C for 30<60sec, if not under guaranty. AND IF YOU'RE HANDY with the stuff. .. other then that... RMA

Regards
WF

Beneath a Steel Sky:
Lamb: What's that ROBOT doing here?
Foster: He's my PERSONAL ASSISTANT. Say Hello Joey
Joey: Hello, Joey.
Lamb: HUH! Pity it's got no BRAIN.

Reply 2227 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elnino wrote:
Hmm, its probably late now but did you have vsync turned off? , and fps like 1xxx,.. and high pitch coil whining , like condense […]
Show full quote

Hmm, its probably late now but did you have vsync turned off? , and fps like 1xxx,.. and high pitch coil whining , like condenser sound

You could try "rebake" your card in owen @250<300C for 30<60sec, if not under guaranty. AND IF YOU'RE HANDY with the stuff. .. other then that... RMA

Regards
WF

VSync was turned off, the fps may have been that high (didn't have an FPS counter going), but no high-pitched coil whining.

Interesting repair tip...I'll be sure to keep it in mind for later.

Reply 2228 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested the following with WIP24:

• RiftSpace - In-game menus run at 30FPS, but in-game slows down to 20FPS, down to ~7FPS when using menus overlaid on the main 3D view. (This is a DX7 game, contrary to the official requirements.)
  • Lost Valley - the game runs, but audio-only. (A Multimedia Fusion game.)
  • The Desolate Room - same as Lost Valley. (Another Multimedia Fusion game.)
  • Ark 22 - runs with dgVoodoo2 just fine, but audio-only when resolution is forced. (Pre-YoYo Games "Game Maker" game AFAIK)
  • TECNO - The Base (free version 1.3) - runs great...but the mouse likes to leave the window, which causes the window to minimize when I click on what I think is the game window, which, depending on the game section, causes the 3D elements and/or certain GUI elements to no longer render when the game goes fullscreen again. Not sure how much can be done with the program focus issues (sounds to me like an issue with the game's handling of multiple monitors).
  • Tiger's Bane - doesn't use dgVoodoo2 when windowed, but when fullscreen, it uses it just fine and runs great! (Didn't test resolution forcing, though.)

Attached to this post is a screenshot from TECNO using dgVoodoo2 and my monitor's native resolution, with 8x antialiasing forced via dgVoodoo2's config program.

Also, out of curiosity Dege, what are you doing for antialiasing when it's forced via the config program? From what I can tell, whatever AA method you're using is stronger than both NVIDIA and AMD/ATI's forcable AA methods, yet provides remarkable image quality.

Attachments

• TECNO - the Base.jpg
    Filename
    TECNO - the Base.jpg
    File size
    366.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2230 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I forgot, a little progression:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP24_1.zip

I added the FHD/QHD restrictions and the integer-factor scaling.

ZellSF wrote:

New maximal option doesn't enumerate refresh rates.

Refresh rates are also dynamic, unfortunately, because the effective physical resolution used depends on the scaling mode and the calculated dynamic resolution.
You still can override the refresh rate though, e.g. typing "Max, 75" into the resolution combobox means max dynamic resolution with 75 Hz.

Expack3 wrote:

Also, out of curiosity Dege, what are you doing for antialiasing when it's forced via the config program? From what I can tell, whatever AA method you're using is stronger than both NVIDIA and AMD/ATI's forcable AA methods, yet provides remarkable image quality.

Legacy MSAA that the DX API offers. It differs from the post-processed ones that can be applied through driver control panels.

nightson wrote:

Not working for me. Nothing happened after copying over the DirectX dlls. Tested with the scene demos given in the readme file. Any idea?

What happens when you launch such an app? Crash, or no watermark meaning that the native DX is in usage, or black screen maybe?

----

I'm strongly lagging behind the reports. I've tried some stuffs on Win10 with a 4K monitor and the results are not so nice for me than with Win7. I think I should 'go back' and fix some things before any other new development... 🙁

Reply 2231 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remember when I reported mouse feels less responsive when running Drakan through dgVoodoo and that it felt better on different hardware? Forget what I said, that was a placebo and a mistake on my part, tested really quick on another machine, might have even accidentally hit DPI switch on my mouse so it just seemed better while it actually isn't. Anyway, I found out what it's really about, no placebo this time. If I turn on Fast video memory access, I get perfect mouse response during gameplay, but there is a major problem, there's no mouse cursor in menus. But like I said, during gameplay, I get steady 60 FPS when game renders higher number of polygons plus the mouse feels just as it does when run through Direct3D 6. So this option definitely needs some tweaking as looking at Drakan's behavior, this is obviously how it's meant to work.

There is also this, Drakan looks quite jagged at places, so anti-aliasing is really helpful to smooth the 3D scene. But there is a problem, anti-aliasing messes up text rendering (dots all around it). On old ATI cards, it was possible to fix that by enabling driver setting Alternate pixel centers + enabling game option Fix texture coordinates (or settings Text adjustment to shifted, same thing, depends on where you change graphics settings), which was originally intended to fix text rendering issues on old Voodoo cards. So I was wondering if it would be possible for dgVoodoo to emulate that somehow? On NVIDIA, the best you can get is blurry text by picking certain special anti-aliasing method in NVIDIA Profile Inspector, works only through Direct3D 6.

Edit: Ok, I've read in Readme that the improvement of fast CPU access to locked surfaces is on to-do list. The game reports same frame-rate regardless of the Fast video memory access option. The difference is in better mouse response and invisible mouse cursor if enabled.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2232 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New ISF option looks a lot better.

GemFX works with dgVooodoo2, if anyone's looking for a ReShade alternative for any reason.

For games that are slow with forced vsync, then running them windowed with DWM enforced vsync seems to result in good performance 😕

Remember when I reported mouse feels less responsive when running Drakan through dgVoodoo and that it felt better on different hardware? Forget what I said, that was a placebo and a mistake on my part, tested really quick on another machine, might have even accidentally hit DPI switch on my mouse so it just seemed better while it actually isn't. Anyway, I found out what it's really about, no placebo this time. If I turn on Fast video memory access, I get perfect mouse response during gameplay, but there is a major problem, there's no mouse cursor in menus. But like I said, during gameplay, I get steady 60 FPS when game renders higher number of polygons plus the mouse feels just as it does when run through Direct3D 6. So this option definitely needs some tweaking as looking at Drakan's behavior, this is obviously how it's meant to work.

Huh... I couldn't get mouse working in menus, maybe I should try again with changing that option.

Reply 2233 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed another problem with Drakan today that will need properly working fast video memory access option to alleviate it. Turning on debug messages (hold SHIFT when starting it, go to developer tab) slows the game down considerably (30 FPS), fast video memory access makes it better, but there are still slowdowns. There doesn't seem to be any difference in performance when run through ancient D3D with those messages.

On the unrelated note, what's the status of D3D8 wrapper? I've read a feature or two isn't implemented yet. Would that have to do with Mafia not working? Only intro videos work and you can navigate menus, but you mostly get blackness for 3D scene.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2234 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote:

On the unrelated note, what's the status of D3D8 wrapper? I've read a feature or two isn't implemented yet. Would that have to do with Mafia not working? Only intro videos work and you can navigate menus, but you mostly get blackness for 3D scene.

Well,
- the number of unimplemented features is known,
- but number of bugs is not 😁 (probably that's why Mafia doesn't work, haven't tested it yet)

I should re-test all the games I have on Win10 though.

Reply 2235 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Evil Islands (D3D7?) works perfectly, antialiasing too. Resolution forcing works, but has issues: when text boxes are open, area under mouse cursor is distorted and 3D elements are at their original resolution. Resolution forcing is pointless in this game though as everything is properly scaled to whatever output resolution you choose and text is rendered at higher resolution.

Reply 2236 of 3949, by Virusek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

First I like to thanks you for this project, is really useful for me and I think many other peoples.
Next I want little help with fixing Resident Evil 2 hardware modes, I get "Failed to initalize DirectX" in any of hardware modes in RE2 Platinum and japan Sourcenext re-relase hangs when playing movies
I resolved Sourcenext hang by disabling movies using registry - then game works fine - but it's Japan 😁
https://imgur.com/jKoj7K1
Also Starcraft 1 have FPS problems with V-Sync enabled.

Last edited by Virusek on 2016-07-01, 16:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2238 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Well, - the number of unimplemented features is known, - but number of bugs is not :-D (probably that's why Mafia doesn't work, […]
Show full quote
UCyborg wrote:

Well,
- the number of unimplemented features is known,
- but number of bugs is not 😁 (probably that's why Mafia doesn't work, haven't tested it yet)

I should re-test all the games I have on Win10 though.

Do you think that now is a good moment to fix the light color problem for Splinter Cell PT?
dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

This would solve the last problem with this game(from the ones that can be fixed 😀 by you).

Preaty please. Cherry on top.

Reply 2239 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
I forgot, a little progression: […]
Show full quote

I forgot, a little progression:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP24_1.zip

I added the FHD/QHD restrictions and the integer-factor scaling.

ZellSF wrote:

New maximal option doesn't enumerate refresh rates.

Refresh rates are also dynamic, unfortunately, because the effective physical resolution used depends on the scaling mode and the calculated dynamic resolution.
You still can override the refresh rate though, e.g. typing "Max, 75" into the resolution combobox means max dynamic resolution with 75 Hz.

Expack3 wrote:

Legacy MSAA that the DX API offers. It differs from the post-processed ones that can be applied through driver control panels.

nightson wrote:

What happens when you launch such an app? Crash, or no watermark meaning that the native DX is in usage, or black screen maybe?

----

I'm strongly lagging behind the reports. I've tried some stuffs on Win10 with a 4K monitor and the results are not so nice for me than with Win7. I think I should 'go back' and fix some things before any other new development... 🙁

No watermark. I've tested with some old DirectX games (Ancient Evil, Blood II, etc.) and got the same result. I'll try a few Glide games to see if it will work.

Edit: I've tested with 3dfx and D3D exes of MDK. I managed to get the 3dfx version running. All the settings worked but the 3dfx splashscreen and watermark didn't show up even with the options already checked. Couldn't get it work with the D3D exe. Same result as before.