VOGONS

First post, by diirk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing with generating some midi tracks.

From what I understand, OPL3 does not have a full percussion bank. When I generate midi notes on channel 10 only program 1 plays what sounds like a bass or kick drum without ADLMIDI generating a 'missing percussion MIDI bank' Debug warning (and all the remaining program numbers play the same sound while generating the warning).

Supposedly there is some special "6 OP percussion mode" but I don't know how to use it (and I don't really understand what "OP"s are). Is it possible to at least get a snare or hat sound somehow?

Reply 2 of 2, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 6-OP percussion mode means that the final 3 OPL2 channels are replaced with bass drum(channel 6, only 1 operator used(carrier) during additive synthesis) and two single-operator(either modulator or carrier depending on which of the instrument on the channel is used) percussion instruments for each of the last two channels(Hi-hat/Snaredrum(channel 7) and Tomtom/Cymbal(channel 8 ) respectively).
They also use register BDh for their note-ons instead of the normal note-on registers.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io