Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-7-26 @ 00:26

i extracted it and run te boxedwine exe but nothing happens, i am assuming i need to add/install someting into it? i am running windows 10 64bit myself
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-06 @ 03:06

Boxedwine doesn't have a nice UI like Virtualbox/VMWare. It's purely a command line app that requires arguments in order to run. You can double click one of the bat files to run a demo I included, like FullTiltPinballDemo32.bat, if you downloaded the recent beta.

Someday it would be nice to implement a more user friendly UI, but for now I'm just focused on performance and compatibility.

If you are trying to run a game that was meant for Windows 95/98 that doesn't use Direct3D, then I would say there is a 75% chance it might work.
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-8-06 @ 04:21

Oh okay thanks - i guess i would be looking for somethign that can run direct 3d - i am trying to get games like Jane's F/A-18, iF/1-18 and other late 90s, early 00s sims working
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-10 @ 20:39

Code: Select all
               TCHAR Ch[1024];
               ANSICHAR ACh[1024];
               appSprintf( Ch, TEXT("%s: %s%s"), FName::SafeString(Event), Data, LINE_TERMINATOR );
               INT i;
               for( i=0; Ch[i]; i++ )
                  ACh[i] = ToAnsi(Ch[i] );
               ACh[i] = 0;
               LogAr->Serialize( ACh, i );


This is some code from Unreal found at https://github.com/stephank/surreal

Notice how there is no string length check for Data? I now pass back the OpenGL extensions list from my computers hardware and I guess it was too big for such an old game.

I am unable to run this particular version of Unreal.exe on my desktop Windows 10 machine as well.

Now Boxedwine will support a new command line argument -glext which can be used to filter the gl extensions the host computer returns.

This also fixes Quake 2, probably for a similar reason.

Quake 2 is hitting some pretty fast numbers now, I attached a screen shot showing 560 fps
Attachments
quake2.jpg
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-8-10 @ 23:36

560fps! is it even possible to see such a frame rate on a screen - things are already smooth as silk at like 60fps in any game ,
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-11 @ 01:50

Agathosdaimon wrote:Oh okay thanks - i guess i would be looking for somethign that can run direct 3d - i am trying to get games like Jane's F/A-18, iF/1-18 and other late 90s, early 00s sims working


I looked into F/A-18, but I couldn't get it to work. Wine app db says that people haven't had luck with it on Wine, and since I use Wine, I'm not sure how much luck I will have with it. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2184

Even though I just said Direct 3D games won't work, I had a break through this week. Some Direct 3D are starting to work. I was able to play for a few minutes in Expendables (1999 DirectX 6 3D game) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Soldier:_Expendable So if the games your are interested in work with Wine then there is a chance Boxedwine will work, you should check back in a few months.
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-8-11 @ 03:44

okay, i must profess again my ignorance -i never knew of this wine page - wine is still yes a program designed for running windows programs on apple computers yes? is wine something that can be used in windows already for trying to get old games working?
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-8-11 @ 03:51

although not listed there - i would really like to know if maybe boxed wine could run iF-22 and or iF/a-18 - i think these 2 interactive magic games from the late 90s have been the challenge of the past decade for me. even Jane's F/a-18 has recently cracked when i have tried some more dxwnd approaches, but if-22 and if/a-18 remain impossible to get going (i think it may have to do with the movies which seem to have some coding issue running on windows 10

iM1-a2 abrams runs in windows 10 but it currently runs far too fast when it comes to projectiles flying and if the tank goes done a slope it goes into hyperdrive

if boxed wine could work for any of these iMagic sims, i would like to know
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-11 @ 05:14

Agathosdaimon wrote:although not listed there - i would really like to know if maybe boxed wine could run iF-22 and or iF/a-18 - i think these 2 interactive magic games from the late 90s have been the challenge of the past decade for me. even Jane's F/a-18 has recently cracked when i have tried some more dxwnd approaches, but if-22 and if/a-18 remain impossible to get going (i think it may have to do with the movies which seem to have some coding issue running on windows 10

iM1-a2 abrams runs in windows 10 but it currently runs far too fast when it comes to projectiles flying and if the tank goes done a slope it goes into hyperdrive

if boxed wine could work for any of these iMagic sims, i would like to know


There might be some hope. I tried iF 22 and it mostly worked. The movies would crash near the end of the movie, but eventually I was able to get to the main screen. I tried the instant action. It works, but it wasn't very responsive to my keyboard commands, it was hard to control. Maybe someday when I get joystick support it will be more playable.
Attachments
if22.jpg
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-8-11 @ 07:40

oh thats great, - my best effort was geting it to run with virtualbox win98se - but its sound is all broken and had game-breaking stuttering in the 3d parts - frustrating as other imagic games liek spearhead and im1a2 mostly work fine in oracle virtualbox

so now i just need to learn how does one actually use boxedwine - i dont know any command line stuff for it, is there a guide, or is boxed wine still not really ready for use?
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-11 @ 16:47

19R1 Beta 2 Release

Changes from 19R1 Beta 1
* Fixed bugs in the Windows 64-bit build
* Added support for SSE instructions, and bumped the CPU to be reported as a Pentium 3
* Enabled support for Direct 3D, this is experimental, so if you are lucky maybe 50% of the Direct 3D games you try will work. You should probably stick to games around the year 2000 or before.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boxedw ... 0Beta%202/
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-11 @ 16:53

Agathosdaimon wrote:oh thats great, - my best effort was geting it to run with virtualbox win98se - but its sound is all broken and had game-breaking stuttering in the 3d parts - frustrating as other imagic games liek spearhead and im1a2 mostly work fine in oracle virtualbox

so now i just need to learn how does one actually use boxedwine - i dont know any command line stuff for it, is there a guide, or is boxed wine still not really ready for use?


You can try 19R1 Beta 2 that I just released. iF 22 is not a simple game to install. You will need to copy both CD's to a single directory, fs/home/files/if22/, for example. See HowToInstallYourOwnGame.txt in the new beta for a more detailed explanation. After you install it you will need to copy fs\home\files\if22\Data\*.* to fs\home\username\.wine\drive_c\I-Magic\F22\Data (the installer left some on the cd).

To make the UI look right you will need to set the resolution to 1024x768 instead of using the default 800x600, something like this

cd bin64
BoxedWine64.exe -resolution 1024x768 -root ../fs -zip ../fullWine1.7.55-v7.zip -w /home/username/.wine/drive_c/I-Magic/F22 /bin/wine if22

If it crashes at the end of each movie, next time just click the movie before the end so that it will be skipped.
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Agathosdaimon » 2019-8-12 @ 00:05

thanks i will check that out when i have some free time again, it sounds like it will take a while to figure out
Agathosdaimon
Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2013-2-09 @ 14:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby Serious Callers Only » 2019-8-14 @ 22:16

Some wiine devs created a similar project recently using qemu (to run on ARM):

https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover/commits/master

virtualization unfortunately only would really help in x86 compatible cpus, not arm (among other problems). Slowness seems to be in the future of x86 on android or rpi anything (except if in a intel x86 cpu ofc)
Serious Callers Only
Member
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2003-4-26 @ 21:34

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-8-15 @ 17:25

Serious Callers Only wrote:Some wiine devs created a similar project recently using qemu (to run on ARM):

https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover/commits/master

virtualization unfortunately only would really help in x86 compatible cpus, not arm (among other problems). Slowness seems to be in the future of x86 on android or rpi anything (except if in a intel x86 cpu ofc)


I'm also curious what will happen on Android/ARM. I think it wouldn't take too much to get Boxedwine to run on ARM without a recompiler. And a basic dynamic recompiler shouldn't be too hard either, I have a basic x86 dynamic recompiler (https://sourceforge.net/p/boxedwine/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/boxedwine/cpp/source/emulation/cpu/x32/x32CPU.cpp) that is only about 2000 lines of code. Boxedwine handles the dynamic parts generically and each CPU implementation only needs to handle a few micro ops. Of course a true multi-threaded x86 to ARM binary translator like I have for x64 would probably take a long time to create.

I will probably think more seriously about Android/ARM once Wine has a DirectX implementation for OpenGL ES.
danoon
Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2011-1-04 @ 19:12

Previous

Return to PC Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nztdm and 3 guests