VOGONS

MechWarrior 2 3dfx edition

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone get this running with DGVoodoo or anything else? I have it running on a crust bucket rig, but was wondering if the emulators/wrappers had managed to get good enough to run it on a modern puter w/o Voodoo1 card.

Reply 1 of 49, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mouse is a bit laggy but it does work with dgVoodoo under win98 with a GeForce 6800.

I guess whatever the latest mobo you can still find '98 chipset drivers for and a 6800 is about as modern as your going to get it working on.

I'm running it on an asus vintage ae-1.

Reply 2 of 49, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could I make a request for either person in this thread, or anyone who has the 3DFX version of Mechwarrior 2?

I have the normal Windows version of MW2, but I have been looking for the 3DFX version so that I could try it with a glide wrapper, or even on my old system with a Voodoo 1 card. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere. Even eBay comes up empty. The Titanium version is easy to find, but I don't like the screenshots I've seen. To me, the 3DFX version looks nicer.

Anyway, according to one FAQ, there are only five files that are different between the normal version and the 3DFX version.

I was wondering if someone who owns the 3DFX version would be willing to Zip those files and upload them somewhere for me. Please note that I am not asking anyone to pirate the game for me. The files in question are useless without a full copy of the game to use them with. Actually, I'm surprised that Activision or some fan group never created such a patch

The files in question are;

Changed
----------
MW2.DLL (707kb)
MW2.PRJ (41.4mb)
MW2SHELL.DLL (531kb)

New
-----
mw2.mip (8.33mb)
skygnd.par (4.49kb)

I would be extremely grateful if someone could do this.

Reply 3 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry this is a little late but you can find the CD Spawn for the 3DFX version here:

http://vertx.ca/mechwarrior/

I too wanted the 3DFX version. I also knew about the FAQ.
The spawn DOES include the needed files to convert the win95 version.
The conversion works I tried it in win98 with dgVoodoo and a 6600.
There were some glitches but nothing big.
#1 For me dgVoodoo must be set with "Disable texture tiles" in the LFB section.
#2 After each mission I must save, quit, and reload MechWarrior to play the next mission because if I don't the screen flickers like crazy.

Hope that helps and I hope you read this late post.

On a side note does anyone have the PowerVR version. I have a compatible PCX2 card and would love to try it.

Reply 4 of 49, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
orry this is a little late but you can find the CD Spawn for the 3DFX version here: […]
Show full quote

orry this is a little late but you can find the CD Spawn for the 3DFX version here:

http://vertx.ca/mechwarrior/

I too wanted the 3DFX version. I also knew about the FAQ.
The spawn DOES include the needed files to convert the win95 version.
The conversion works I tried it in win98 with dgVoodoo and a 6600.
There were some glitches but nothing big.

Thanks. Someone else on another site pointed me to those files, but I haven't tried it yet. I did unpack the MSI file and I notice that one of the files mentioned in the FAQ isn't included. Maybe that's why it has glitches.

Reply 5 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Witch file are you missing? I have the original 3DFX CD now. I don't have any web space but perhaps I could upload it somewhere for you?

The glitches I spoke of were driver and dgVoodoo related. I am now using dgVoodoo 1.50 beta. This works perfectly. You can also play in any resolution you want. I have even tried 1920x1440 and it worked.

Reply 6 of 49, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LCountach wrote:

Witch file are you missing? I have the original 3DFX CD now. I don't have any web space but perhaps I could upload it somewhere for you?

Thank you, I would really appreciate it.

If upload size isn't a problem for you, could you zip the following 5 files from your 3DFX version and upload the Zip to Rapidshare.com?

MW2.DLL
MW2.PRJ
MW2SHELL.DLL
mw2.mip
skygnd.par

Some of these were included in the MSI file on that site, but I would rather get them from an original 3DFX version, so that I know I have good copies of them. I estimate the Zip will be around 30MB or so. Is that too big?

If you've never used Rapidshare before, it's easy, just go to;

http://rapidshare.com

Click the Browse button, select the file, then click Upload. When it finishes, it will ask if you want to create an account, just click the No Thanks option and it will give you the link to the file.

Thank you very much for doing this!

Reply 7 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you go:http://rapidshare.com/files/20054229/Mech2_3D … ersion.zip.html

I know what it is like when you must make sure "you know, that you know, that you know" Ect.

Note: If you notice that there are missing textures on Mechs, Buildings, and Vehicles. That is normal. It seems Activision did a rush job which distorted many textures and completely missed others. Don't worry though. 3DFX is still one of the best looking versions.

Reply 8 of 49, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LCountach wrote:

Here you go:http://rapidshare.com/files/20054229/Mech2_3D … ersion.zip.html

I know what it is like when you must make sure "you know, that you know, that you know" Ect.

Note: If you notice that there are missing textures on Mechs, Buildings, and Vehicles. That is normal. It seems Activision did a rush job which distorted many textures and completely missed others. Don't worry though. 3DFX is still one of the best looking versions.

Thank you! I'll try it out soon. Right now, I have a cold and pretty much feel like crap. 😒

I really appreciate you uploading the files for me.

Reply 9 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi chaps !
I 'm a Mech2 fan and I possess a 3DFX cd original version.
For nearly 5 years i try to run it under our actual system.
I saw you spoke about FAQs, but I didn't found them...so don't be too hard if I ask noob question :s
Also, do I have to run it under Win98 to run it ? I got a WinXP patch found here :
http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2.py

Can you help me running it please ? I'm really eager to play that wonderful game !

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 10 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FIVE-one the "WinXP patch" you mentioned only works with the standard non-3D accelerated versions.
These would be the Win95/PENTIUM EDITIONs. For us 3DFX users Win95/98 is your only choice to play the game properly. You can run 3DFX in XP with a "command line trick" but only the individual missions. That method will not allow you to pick a mech or customize it in the mechlab. That is half the fun.

The FAQ we spoke of is here:http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/index.htm
This sight has lots of information but it will not help you run in XP.

Reply 11 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I think I will try under a Win9x only so far 😀
Do you have any tips to give me under Win9x ? As I see you use a wrapper I've downloaded. I launched the setup but I dunno what to do after it to play my favorite game... I saw you said to activate 'disable textures files', I did it.

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 12 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With dgVoodoo 1.50 beta I don't need to change anything. 1.4 was a little buggy when paired with my hardware and drivers.

You only need 2 files from dgVoodoo 1.5

dgVoodooSetup.exe
Glide.dll

Drop those 2 files in the same folder you installed MechWarrior 2 into.
The settings depend on the hardware you are running the game on. You can tweak them but you may not need to.
I am running on relatively up to date hardware which includes an Athlon 2700+, Nvidia 6600, and DX9.
In the "Global" Tab "Render API" you have D3D 7 & 9. You can chose the option that best matches you hardware and installed DirectX level.
"Screen bit depth" 32bit will blend colors better but may run slower depending on hardware.
In the "Glide" Tab I left everything default and It worked nicely. You can change the bit depth and resolution for a visual improvement.
I changed these later after I was sure the game was running properly.
There are tons of other options but I would not mess with them unless you NEED to.
If you screw up the dgVoodoo settings just copy in a fresh "Glide.dll" from the zip file to reset them.

When dgVoodoo is ready to go just run the game normally.

Reply 13 of 49, by OleTimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Rekrul and to others that can help me out. I just installed Mech2 "Enhanced for the Diamond Monster 3d" and not able to get it to launch. All the specifications I've read said that I needed a Diamond video card and hoping if I replace the three different files to go back to the pentium version I might be able to get this to launch to be able to play the game without a Diamond video card.

Is this possible?

Could someone please send me the three files or a link for running the mech2 game for the pentium version.

MW2.DLL v1.1 808kb
MW2.PRJ v1.1 20.8mb
MW2SHELL.DLL v1.1 533kb

Thanks upfront!

Reply 14 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OleTimer what OS are you running? WinXP or Win95/98. If you are running 95/98 OS you don't need a "Diamond Monster 3d" or any Voodoo card. Your "Diamond Monster 3d" version is exactly like the other 3DFX versions. In fact The Diamond version is the one I have. All you need is dgVoodoo and a Direct3D capable video card. I would recommend trying Win98 + Direct3D + dgVoodoo before you try to convert to the old version.

I just retested the conversion back to the old Win95/PENTIUM EDITION. It worked great on my 98 machine. The game started on my XP machine but crashed when starting missions. The XP problem may just be my machine. If you really need the Win95/PENTIUM EDITION files I can setup a download on rapidshare.com. Just like I did for Rekrul.

Reply 15 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed in on my Win XP machines only.
I launched the game after patching 1.1 and added the warp13 patch, and the problem is the same.
You said there are some command lines to screw the error up.
Oh is dgVoodoo useful under WinXP ? you said it's possible to run Mech2 with it under XP with, like i said, a command line.
Oh and I'd like to know : what is exactly MW2 Titanium edition ? only a graphic rebuilt ?
Does it include Ghost Bear Legacy ?

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 16 of 49, by OleTimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed mech 2 3dfx on a dell c840 laptop 1.8ghz Win98se. I just got done installing Win98se on the modular drive so I can play all my old games without not having to worry about sluggish performances. ie mech2.

Everything seemed to install correctly I can view the opening scene (avi). In the "Trial of Grievance" I click on the launch button and screen just blinks and goes back to the launch page but doesn't crash. I can get into cadet training but it will not select any of the 6 missions. Screen just blinks and goes back into Cadet training page.

Thinking this is a Nvidia GeFoprce 4 Go 32mb problem with the laptop because I had a hard time finding a video driver to work well within win98 I decided to install on another PC 233mhz with a 3D Blaster PCI video card and the results where the same.

I will try dgVoodoo and see if I can't get it to hook up. I figured I needed a Voodoo card to run that. I'll let you know the results.

Reply 17 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You said there are some command lines to screw the error up.

This line is confusing to me. I am not sure what you are asking.

Here are Examples of the "Command Line Trick".

#1 Get yourself to the DOS Command Prompt. Navigate to the Directory where you installed MechWarrior 2.
When in the Directory type "MECH2.EXE pinkscn1"
This will start Mech2 and jump straight into the pink mission. It will automatically exit the game when you exit the mission.
"pinkscn1" is broken into two parts. "pink" is an example of a mission you might want to play. Just type any 4 letter mission name followed by "scn1".
For a list of the mission names try searching Google.

#2 Make a Shortcut to the "MECH2.EXE". Edit the shortcut Target: to include the "????scn1" command.
Here is an example:

"C:\Mech2\MECH2.EXE" pinkscn1

I hope that helpes you understand the "Command Line Trick".

Oh is dgVoodoo useful under WinXP ?

Yes it works in XP. dgVoodoo is a 3DFX Glide Wrapper/Emulator. It was designed to allow people to play games that were coded only for 3DFX cards.

what is exactly MW2 Titanium edition ? only a graphic rebuilt ?

The Titanium Editions are just graphic rebuilds and very good ones at that. However like every MechWarrior 2 version they have their problems. The "Titanium Trilogy" does include Ghost Bear Legacy.

Reply 18 of 49, by OleTimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

LCountach......"Thank you".

That was a good lesson. I used dgvoodoo v1.5 like you said and everything is just hunky dory. At 1st I was a little deturbed about the graphics.....but once I found the graphic settings.....cool. Looks like it was worth the time.

Thanks again!

Reply 19 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thx a lot Lcountach
Well I patched my Mech2 version with warp13's patch (under WinXP, I know u said it wasn't built for this version) the game, wich before didnt launched under WinXp, can be launched (i can set a mech in the lab, going to training...make a lot of things) but when I launch a mission it spit me an error in my face (windows error type "send, dont send').
Is it what u said as the patch isn't designed for this version ?
Or is it possible to pass by the error by doing something with DgVoodoo (maybe, I say maybe, it will be possible)

Hail to the Emperor !