VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:
AlucarD86 wrote:

Yup I know ! The first problem I encountered was that I could not install Win98 on a 80GB HDD after I found out that I should create a partition with maximum 32GB in Fat32 !

This isn't correct. 128 MB is the limit.

No... Technically a FAT32 partition can go clear up to 16 TB (ref), but that would be a pretty terrible idea as other file systems offer improved performance. Windows XP and later enforce a 32 GB limit, but other utilities can do it. But this is getting off-topic.

EdmondDantes wrote:
Hey, I had a question similar to the OP but a little different, so I decided to bump the old topic instead of making a new one. […]
Show full quote

Hey, I had a question similar to the OP but a little different, so I decided to bump the old topic instead of making a new one.

Okay, I'm trying to record footage off a Win98SE computer too. The thing is, I'm trying to record to a DVD Recorder, NOT to another computer (I don't have one that can accept inputs, anyway). I also preferably want a method that could also record from boot if I wanted to, and could record even if I decide to boot into MS-DOS and not go into Win98 at all. All while still being able to actually use the computer on my actual monitor and with my normal speakers.

Someone once told me that if I just use a VGA to RCA converter box (like this one) and for audio, a signal splitter with cables like these on the DVDR's end, that would get the job done. Is that right, or is there a step I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

(If this doesn't get any replies here then I'll start a seperate topic)

Reply 41 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

This isn't correct. 128 MB is the limit.

I'm pretty sure we've overcome that 128MB space barrier ages before Windows 98

also attached: attempts of my composite Voodoo3 capturing

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    Filename
    windows.jpg
    File size
    110.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • doom (2).jpg
    Filename
    doom (2).jpg
    File size
    175.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    ef.jpg
    File size
    407.05 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
Last edited by leileilol on 2014-10-03, 17:10. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 43 of 52, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dunno, those composite recordings look fine for my purposes (lets plays, reviews, and/or just taking notes on games I don't understand the mechanics of).

So, that box, it works at boot? It can still output to the TV even if you go straight to MS-DOS?

Also, my comp already has a Voodoo 3, unfortunately its the 2000 model. Might upgrade at some point.

Reply 44 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure about 3dfx but Nvidia cards you see everything. POST screen, BIOS, command prompt, DOS games, high resolution DOS games, Windows...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 45 of 52, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I meant, does this box also show you everything (POST screen, BIOS, command prompt, secret hidden erotica folder, high resolution DOS games, etc) too? Would I be able to record all of if onto a DVD recorder?

If it does then its just what I need.

Reply 46 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it does! That box was my capturing solution when I started my YouTube channel 😀 I know it very well.

Reply 50 of 52, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So was this how you recorded those Quake shootout videos? I was gonna watch your earliest ones but the earliest I found said it was only posted a week ago (or maybe Youtube is just being dumb)

Reply 51 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EdmondDantes wrote:

So was this how you recorded those Quake shootout videos? I was gonna watch your earliest ones but the earliest I found said it was only posted a week ago (or maybe Youtube is just being dumb)

That's because I started a new channel and moving stuff across.

This is one of my old videos using S-Video. But it could have been directly captured of a GeForce, I don't remember:

Installing Plug and Play Sound Blaster in DOS with S-Video capture

All the new videos, including the 3dfx stuff, are captured with the AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD.

Reply 52 of 52, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey man, I bought one of those boxes, and I'm loving it, but I do have one little qualm that maybe you can help me with.

With some MS-DOS games, and even the DOS prompt itself, the entire screen does not display on my television. For example in the DOS prompt, I can never see the C:\ part, though I can see the > and everything after. In some games I miss borders (Pool of Radiance doesn't have the left and right, Bard's Tale the right goes off screen).

I can't find an option to adjust that would fix this. Can you suggest anything?