VOGONS

First post, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, all. I've setup an oldies station w/ an SB AWE64 ISA PnP on Win 3.11. I downloaded the ONLY driver Creative had at it's support site: the file is S64BASIC.EXE. First off, however, I downloaded the CTCMBBS.EXE, which is the Plug 'n' Play manager that allows win3.11 to detect the card. Next, after i extracted SB64BASIC.EXE i installed it in DOS like it says so. Upon restarting i noticed it did NOT install the driver for win3.11 like it should of, right?

So, i ran the winsetup.exe program and all it did was install some windows apps, and utilities, like the mixer, control panel, etc. it STILL did NOT install the blinkin' driver! Lastly, I had to manually install the Windows driver myself. Through Main--> Control Panel --> Drivers i pointed to "unlisted or updated driver" I choose the first thing there, the Creative MIDI Instrument Mapper; luckily that device installed WELL. However, afterward, as i tried the actual drivers themselves things go awry.

Besides the creative MIDI instrument mapper, three other drivers appear there, as well, which are the REAL drivers: Creative Stereo Music Synthesizer driver, SB AWE 64 MIDI synthesizer driver & SB AWE 64 Wave/Aux/Mixer/Midiport driver. When i tried the first one, clicking BOTH current and new options this error pops up:

"Cannot load the Creative Music Synthesizer Driver driver. The driver file may be missing. Try installing the driver again, or contact your system adminstrator."

OF course, I tried again but it gave the same message. When I tried the next one from the list another error comes up:

'Sound Blaster AWE32 MIDI Synth

VSBAWE.386 is not installed'

I already checked the C:\SB16 folder and the VSBAWE.286 file IS there! It's in the winappl sub-folder. Afterward, the exact same message that occured when i tried to install the creative music synth pops up, except, of course, it refers to the AWE64 MIDI instead. And when i try the last device from the list the same error error that occurred when i tried to install the creative music synth pops up AGAIN, except, of course, it refers to the AWE64 Wave/Aux/Midiport driver this time. I also tried the current and new buttons for these last two drivers.

Don't know much about troubleshooting win 3.1 AT ALL. In fact, don't recall EVER having problems with 3.1 before. The card seems to be working fine under DOS 6.22. Maybe the drivers are faulty? They're the ONLY ones I could find other than the original AWE32 install disks, but i doubt the driver will work with the AWE64.

Thanks in advance!!

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Soundblaster AWE64 in my old PC. Maybe I could find the drivers and upload on internet.

For MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 you will need some PNP utilities (CTCM, I think) to enable the card, and then it will work as a normal Sound Blaster (that means, you can configure Windows 3.x with SB16 drivers, but you won't get wavetable MIDI).

Have you tried www.driversguide.com ? Maybe you could download the drivers from there...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a copy of the AWE64 manual?

A couple of years ago you could download a copy of the AWE64 Gold manual in PDF format from Creative Labs, but it seems to have disappeared from the list. The filename is awe64gold.pdf, and I found a site with a copy here:

http://www.buildorbuy.org/pdf/awe64gold.pdf

The sections "Understanding the Installation Program in Windows 3.1x" and "Problems in Windows 3.1x" should be of interest.

Reply 3 of 4, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:

I've got a Soundblaster AWE64 in my old PC. Maybe I could find the drivers and upload on internet.

It would be really great if you could upload them, because it looks like creative's support site ONLY provides UPDATES for drivers, and NOT the drivers themselves. So, S64BASIC.EXE and everything else, EXCEPT CTCMBBS.EXE (which the PNP utility) require the original drivers first.

Zup wrote:

For MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 you will need some PNP utilities (CTCM, I think) to enable the card, and then it will work as a normal Sound Blaster (that means, you can configure Windows 3.x with SB16 drivers, but you won't get wavetable MIDI).

Have you tried www.driversguide.com ? Maybe you could download the drivers from there...

Well, I got this card FOR the wavetable MIDI, so, using SB16 drivers is NOT an option. As for driverguide.com, I already searched there and soundcard-drivers.com and found NOTHING, but the usual updates.

akula65 wrote:

The sections "Understanding the Installation Program in Windows 3.1x" and "Problems in Windows 3.1x" should be of interest

Thanks for that link, but that can't help me much, because i do NOT have the drivers yet.

Reply 4 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I searched through my old SoundBlaster driver CDs and found Windows 3.1 driver packs for the following cards:

SoundBlaster AWE32 PnP (English, ~6MB)
SoundBlaster AWE64 (English, ~35MB)
SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold (English, ~20MB)

Please send me a personal message on this board if you want to download them.

I cannot upload them directly to the vogons board, because of file size restrictions and (maybe) legal issues.