VOGONS

First post, by TMM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been working on a new SCSI emulator, kind of like the Zulu SCSI or Blue SCSI but targeted at newer devices. My emulator supports up to Ultra-2 speeds (16 bit, 40 MHz ~ 80MB/s) and uses SATA drives instead of SD cards for speed and endurance purposes.

This kind of started from my own desire to work with older Unixy boxes but I think this might be useful for others as well? Current features include:

• SCSI Disk support
  • SCSI CDROM support
  • Images on a SATA disk
  • Pass through an entire SATA disk as 1 SCSI target
  • Multiple targets (14)
  • Multiple LUNS per target (64)
  • Ethernet for serving images over CIFS/NFS (note no WIFI)
  • Web Configuration UI

Since the hardware and features are not yet set in stone, I was wondering if people here have a "wishlist" of sorts for a device like this. Like, would you like to see NVME drive support? Do you think having images on SD cards is still a nice additional feature to have? Would you prefer an M.2 SATA slot or a full 2.5" connector and mounting holes? both?

What system(s) would you want to use these with?

There is no website or store for these yet, I have working prototypes but no product(s) yet, pricing is also TBD, but it's looking like probably somewhere between $100 and $200 a piece (it is as of yet not clear what the final BOM cost will actually be).

Any input would be much appreciated!

Reply 1 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could add the ability to Identify a target as a specific drive, ie any identity information that a normal drive would give would be given by the emulated target when the specific drive information is available and the target is set to give out specific information.
SCSI scanner support, just add a USB or HDMI webcam and you can scan a page.

I guess ZIP, WORM, JAZZ, MO drives all fall under disk support.

price between $100 - $200 would be a steal.

Also what do you mean with, you have working prototypes but no product ?
What's the cost of those prototypes, what specifications do they have ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 9, by TMM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-05-06, 15:35:

you could add the ability to Identify a target as a specific drive, ie any identity information that a normal drive would give would be given by the emulated target when the specific drive information is available and the target is set to give out specific information.
SCSI scanner support, just add a USB or HDMI webcam and you can scan a page.

I can do that. I'm working on tape support now, I was thinking of printer support as well so systems where printing is a convenient way to get data out could be used.

I guess ZIP, WORM, JAZZ, MO drives all fall under disk support.

I don't have that planned, but generally speaking most of these (Except for super drives and I think LS120?) are just removable block devices so I think they won't need special handling. If you think having explicit support for any of these is useful I can add it. WORM is a bit different as emulating a cd/dvd writer is a whole other can of worms. I totally can do that though. I couldn't think of a good reason why to add it!

price between $100 - $200 would be a steal.
Also what do you mean with, you have working prototypes but no product ?
What's the cost of those prototypes, what specifications do they have ?

The prototypes are different components (some off the shelf, some designed by me) still hooked together with ribbon cables. So I don't have a single board yet. Cost of the prototypes right now is about $250, but that is in part because it is 6 PCBs.

Reply 3 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, your project sounds really cool.

I forgot about tape drives and ls120. If you have removable drive support even floppy drives would be possible. I was thinking maybe even a bluray drive would be possible but, were there any bluray scsi drives made and the drm features would likely be a nightmare,.
Didn't know there were any scsi printers out there, that sounds like heavy industrial stuff not something any con/prosumer would ever have.

What's with the backwards compatibility? Will it only support ultra 2 or can it go down to plain old 5Mbit/s narrow SCSI ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4 of 9, by TMM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-05-06, 19:19:

Well, your project sounds really cool.

Thank you!

weedeewee wrote on 2024-05-06, 19:19:

What's with the backwards compatibility? Will it only support ultra 2 or can it go down to plain old 5Mbit/s narrow SCSI ?

It is backwards compatible, I'm working out some bugs with narrow support, but it should work with everything down from ultra 2.

Reply 5 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How will you produce / release it?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 8 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder now what would be required to make it work in an old AS/400 system which uses 12 UW-SCSI hard drives, scsi tape drive & scsi cdrom.

I have no idea if the system can boot with generic drives, nor do i have cdrom or tape to re-install the software. figuring that out might be a hassle.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 9, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This comes to the right time, after I just completed my first BlueSCSI last weekend.
Workstations and servers with different flavours of Unix would be my target too.
Disk only support would be sufficient for me, but a choice of different connectors 50 pin narrow, 68pin wide or 80pin SCA would be nice.
Adding a HVD option needed for some HP 9000 boxed would be nice too.
M2 NVME seems to be the storage medium of choice due to best price/capacity relations.