VOGONS

First post, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Tseng ET6000 PCI video card with 12mb ram. I have read these are one of the best video cards for a dos box, but mind is the PCI version.

I can get a 486 mobo with PCI slots, but wonder about the compatibility versus an ISA or VESA card.

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Fujitsu with PCI bus and a Tseng ET4000 in motherboard. It is compatible with any thing I've thrown at it.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

shouldn't matter. PCI or VESA.
no game uses the bus directly. (mabye something like win95) but no games. (the latest univbe uses the pci bus for detection though)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ET6000 in my 486 box performs well with most programs. It is a dream for newer DOS-based games, because it supports VESA 2.0 LFB in BIOS (no UniVBE needed).

Some games and scene demos (usually stuff that tries funny VGA tweaks) display strange artifacts or do not run at all. For those special cases I have to use a standard ET4000 ISA card.

I haven't found out what causes these problems. Maybe it's a PCI timing problem (although other PCI cards work well), or it's because of the special MDRAM on the ET6000.

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I think a good rule of thumb is if you are building a 386 class machine, look for an ISA Tseng ET4000 and if you are building a 486/early Pentium a Tseng ET6000 would serve you very well.

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI:
ET6000/6100
Matrox Millenium/Mystique/Mystique220/MilleniumII
3dfx Banshee or Voodoo3 (wicked DOS and Windows speed)

AGP:
Matrox MilleniumII/G200/G400
3dfx Banshee or Voodoo3
maybe NV cards, but stay away from ATI (bad VESA).

Personally I am amazed at how fast 3dfx's 2D core is. When you boot up into 98 without video drivers installed you'd have a hard time telling by speed alone! I'm playing WC3 with a Voodoo3 right now and it's fast and works flawlessly.