VOGONS

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm about to order a Gravis Blackhawk joystick (Not the digital version) for Descent, and, I'm wondering if this joystick is compatible with DOS.
Is it? It has no orange switch on the top, no orange fire button like the digital one, but, has a red fire button and grey buttons.

Specs

Pentium 200 MHZ

PC DOS 6.3

64 MB RAM

Sound Blaster 16

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it a gameport joystick, or is it USB? If it's USB, then it probably won't work. If it's a gameport joystick then it will probably have some way of acting like a generic 2- or 4-button DOS joystick. You will probably only be able to do better in the few DOS games that use Gravis' GrIP SDK to add special support for various Gravis controllers.

Note that I don't know anything about the Blackhawk, so you should take this info with a grain of salt. The best thing to do is experiment and see what you can get it to do.

Reply 2 of 3, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The non-digital Blackhawk is a standard vanilla 3-axis, 4-button joystick which should work without problems in DOS-based games.

Make sure you're not ordering the Macintosh version for the ADB connector, this one can not be used on the PC.