VOGONS

First post, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got myself a pair of 12mb Righteous Orchid 3d2's with SLI cable that are anout to go into a P3 baes system. I have downloaded a couple drivers, but wonder whether I am better off buying a pair of 12mb 3dfx made Voodoo 2's available to me, since there seems to be more support out there
(namely drivers for download) for this product.

I mainly want to play Herectic 2, and use miniGL. Could use some advice since this is my first foray into dos/win98 gaming.

Reply 1 of 3, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3dfx did not produce it's own cards until v3 (which then more or less sealed their fate), they only sold chips to other companies. So Orchid is as good as any of the other available v2 cards (Creative, Diamond...) and will work with 3dfx reference or any other drivers (I ran my Orchid card with Creative drivers since by default the clock speed was 3MHz higher 😀 )

Reply 2 of 3, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically all Voodoo2 cards are the same, so drivers for a standard 3dfx card will also work on a Orchid card.

Check out 3dfxzone.it. Their drivers feature lots of improvements over the original V2 drivers. They even have a driver that allows you to SLI cards from different manufacturers 😎 Tools, tutorials and demo software for Voodoo cards are also hosted there.

Reply 3 of 3, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The orchids worked fine with the voodoo2 reference drivers. But they hig two pci slots. Can anyone recommend a voodoo3 3500 as an alterative 3dfx card. I already use a matrox 450 for 2D.