VOGONS

First post, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed an Asus P3b-f and lots of goodies inc an SCC1 and an SB PCI4810. First time I have messed around with a PC.

I disabled the legacy part of the SB pci card (the general midi part).

Downloaded an MPU401 driver that works with the Scc1 - its the mpu401 win3.x driver (although I am using win98).

I run the uninstall program to get rid of any existing drivers, and the PC reboots.

If I open a midi sample provided with the SCC1, it plays through the headphones connected to the SCC1 (good). But when I load albion, no sound, even after running the games setup and selecting that GM for music (bad).

The thing is, I have not installed the mpu401 driver yet! And when I do, the midi files plays, but no sound!

Help!

In device manager, under PCI to ISA bridge, a Plug and Play enumerator is insalled. In bios, everything is left on auto detect. Not to sure about interupts and IRQ's. Bit clueless I am afraid.

Reply 1 of 3, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Here's what I find out. PCI audio card and ISA midi don't work very well. If the SB PCI is set to emulate legacy sound (i.e., SB16) then the SCC-1 and SB PCI will conflict.

To get midi sound working, I went into properties of my computer (right click), and under PCI standard... you will find Sound Blaster AudioPCI. Under properties, and settings, untick the box "Legacy Emulation Enabled".

Secondly, go into the control panel, multimedia, devies, MIDI Devies and Instruments and you should see 2x MIDI for SB options, and 2 x Roland options. Go into the properties of each and disable MIDI features on each, except for the Roland MPU401 MIDI driver.

Prior to this you would have installed the SCC-1 by using an appropriate MPU401 driver (win3.x worked for me, not win95) - add new hardware, select from a list, sound/multimedia device, have disk.

I have an ISA SB AWE64 gold arriving soon so will see if I can get digital sound effects using this and GM from my SCC-1, at the SAME TIME with no conflicts.

When testing be aware that ALbion for example, has an intro with digital music, not midi. In the game, the background music is midi. And if using headphones, make sure you have them plugged into the Midi card or the SB card, depending on what you are wanting to test (of course a mixer is best so you can hear one or both simultaneously).

Reply 2 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some comments:
1. The conflict is probably because the SB cards are trying to emulate an MPU-401 so that you can use their software wavetable synthesizers with DOS games that were designed to talk to your SCC-1. If you can disable that or route it to a different port & IRQ (instead of the default 330 and 2) then it might resolve the conflict.
2. Albion doesn't have very impressive music from what I've played of it. I'd recommend getting something like The Elder Scrolls: Arena instead (which Bethesda has released for free I think).

Good luck!