VOGONS

First post, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm ready to start ripping adlib songs from many games.
But i don't know wich way to use: raw capture or mp3 capture from a
real Adlib card ?

The pro/cons:

1. The size:
- few kbytes for raw
- some mbytes for mp3 (10MB 1min @44khz16bits wav withtout mp3 comp)
2. Sound quality:
- perfect for mp3 (real sound)
- variable for raw (depend on wich emu you render the file)
3. Capturing
- easy for mp3 (adlib output to my mackie then trough my soundcard)
- hard for raw (RAC easy but not for all games and difficult to edit files, Dosbox DRO files aren't editable and playable correctly trough adplug for the moment, too many conflict with adplug core version, volume/instruments/timing problems and DRO-editor don't work since 0.63)

So wich use ?
I prefer RAW method but there's no real player who could play correctly the songs after capturing and it's really difficult to get complete soundtrack with RAC because i can't start a new capture dynamicely and i've never edited correctly a raw file with rawedit without corrupting it.

Reply 3 of 4, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a real Adlib card with YM3812 onboard (OPL2 with Mono Output).

I've made some comparison tests with real and player like adplug... for few games it's pretty the same but for many it's totally different.

I dunno why today sound emulation for Sega Genesis for example or Arcade game sound most identical to original and this not the case for adlib soundtrack from pc games.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What would be best would be to compare:
- DOSBox CVS build vs. real OPL2
- SCUMMVM daily build in Adlib mode vs. real OPL2
- Latest AdPlug core vs. real OPL2

If there are significant differences in any games between DOSBox and real OPL2 but not between AdPlug and real OPL2, then perhaps it would warrant merging over the latest OPL emulation from MAME (which is what both DOSBox and AdPlug use).