VOGONS

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone. I would like everyone to contribute in making an AC'97 sound cards listing. This way, we would know which ones are good and which ones are best to avoid.

I will start with mine. Please follow the same guideline when posting your data.

Mainboard: ABIT NF7 2.0
Chipset: nVIDIA nFORCE2 Ultra
Audio Codec model: ALC650
Manufacturer: Realtek
Channels: up to 6
Output Sound Quality (1 to 10): 7
Compatibility: 80%

Both Output Sound Quality and Compatibility are quite subjective values, but I still think it's a good idea to write them.
This codec of mine (ALC650) is giving me problems with some of the newer games (Spiderman (new), F.E.A.R.) where sound effects and/or voice aren't sounding. And I have tried both drivers from nVIDIA and Realtek. I have latest Direct-X 9.0c installed. Still, no luck.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-12-16, 10:51. Edited 3 times in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another one I had in a mainboard that lasted just for a week.

Mainboard: ASUS A7VX-X (If I am not mistaken)
Chipset: VIA KT800
Audio Codec model: SoundMAX
Manufacturer: (I don't know)
Channels: up to 6
Output Sound Quality (1 to 10): 8
Compatibility: N/A (Didn't have enough time to thoroughly test it).

This codec had a very acceptable output quality. It sounded better than my current ALC650. Pity that I had to return the mainboard because it didn't like my ATi RAdeon 9600.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-12-16, 10:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 2 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 rev 2.0
Chipset: nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400
Audio Codec: MCP, ALC655
Manufacturer: nVidia, Realtek
Channels: Up to 6 via analog, 2 via digital. Also supports HRTF downmixing of 5.1 to headphones.
Compatability: 85%
MIDI synth: None (old drivers had a DLS synth built in, but it's since been dropped)
MIDI I/O: Supported via a joystick bracket pin header on the motherboard, but GigaByte didn't include a bracket. Additionally, these brackets are hard to find because every manufacturer uses a different pin assignment on the pin header.

This is the more or less the same chipset as on el_pusher's ABIT NF7 2.0. You can run either nVidia's drivers on it (which takes advantage of the on-board nVidia MCP sound hardware upstream of the Realtek codec chip) or Realtek's (which bypasses the nVidia MCP hardware and talks directly to the ALC655), but the nVidia drivers currently seem to have better compatibility (despite being released less recently). Here's a good place for drivers, although this version is new since I last checked: www.planetnvidia.com./modules.php?name= ... load&cid=2

I haven't noticed too many problems in games. World of Warcraft doesn't take advantage of my center speaker (5.1 setup) unless I use a registry tweak that artifically creates the center channel (this may be Blizzard's fault and not nVidia's however). You do have to have patience in tweaking the sound settings in some games to find the right comination of hardware acceleration, EAX, DirectSound3D, etc. settings to get good compatibility. The EAX support in both nVidia and Realtek drivers is intentionally below the level required by games that Creative pays to have EAX support specifically added to, but I don't miss it (3D positional audio, which is almost always supported via DirectSound3D even without EAX, is more important to me).

A note on the headphone downmixing: nVidia includes an option called "CineSurround" (which I think is similar to Creative's CMSS3D or whatever it's called) in which you can run a game in 5.1 speaker mode but have the mixer downmix it to stereo with simulated 3D positioning that would be appropriate when using headphones. In my opinion it doesn't sound all that great (my Logitech Z-5500d speakers do the same thing automatically when I plug headphones in, and they seem to do a much better job). Still it's kind of nice if you often play games with headphones on.

Also, recent versions of the nVidia mixer are buggy and have a memory leak (uses up all your memory if you leave it running for several days).

I should also mention that there's no way I'd buy a Creative PCI sound card to replace my on-board sound, as Creative's cards just don't offer anything useful over my current solution. I'm considering buying a third-party PCI sound card with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) support though.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2005-12-16, 16:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mainboard: Epox EP-8KTA3(+ PRO)
Chipset: VIA KT133A
Audio Codec model: VT1611A
Manufacturer: VIA
Channels: 2
Output Sound Quality (1 to 10): 3
Compatibility: 99% (see comment)

This is a old model, sounds OK, but has dampened treble and lacks oomph in the bass department. No noise from other components, however. Why 99% in the compatibility rating? Well it lacks EAX or other 3D features, but it managed to work fine with every game I tried. And it comes with a big bonus: Full SB Pro and AdLib hardware emulation (settings in BIOS, no DOS drivers needed 😁) Tested in MS-DOS/Win9x/Linux.

Mainboard: Asus A7N266-C
Chipset: Nvidia NForce 415D
Audio Codec model: SoundStorm
Manufacturer: NVidia
Channels: 6
Output Sound Quality (1 to 10): 6
Compatibility: 60%

Another rather old board, but the newest I have 🙄. Can encode Dolby Digital 5.1, using this unique feature is recommended as the analog outputs are not very good. Compatible to EAX2, but the effects sound very unrealistic compared to a EMU10K* card. Horrible Linux drivers (closed source). Tested in WinXP/Linux.

Reply 6 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Added channels info as 5u3 did in his post.

Another one I had forgot...

Mainboard: ASUS A7V333
Chipset: VIA KT1333
Audio Codec model: CMI8738
Manufacturer: C-Media (http://www.cmedia.com.tw)
Channels: 4/6
Compatibility: 95%

As you may see, the cmi8738 is a REAL PCI sound card. It even had ms-dos emulation to some extent (SB & Midi but not AdLib) although it didn't work all the time (probably due to timing issues with my faster Athlon processor). All in all, a fairly capable chip.

Attachments

• cmi8738.png
    Filename
    cmi8738.png
    File size
    61.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen MIDI mentioned a couple of times in this thread, so I added MIDI Synth and MIDI I/O parts to my entry as well. I would have mentioned ASIO, but I haven't tested it enough.