VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to put together an older DOS pc. By reading some of the articles here, I gathered some hints and problems already, but I would like some advice to my specific problem too.

I plan to run all Dos games on an xp3200+ using dosbox whenever this works well. I also plan to test the games in a more authentic environment first, then moving them to the dosbox emulation if pleasing results can be obtained there. Else they will have to run on the authentic dos PC. Although my first DOS PC was an Atari PC1 (is it really that long ago?), I don't want to go retro all the way. I am planning for win98se as OS, using it's dos version.

My oldest candidate for mainboard would be the Biostar MB-8500 TAC-A Ver.3 AT-Board.
It does support a Pentium 200-S cpu, which I have. The nice thing is, that it has an undocumented jumper setting for 33 MHz fsb. This combined with 1,5 multi gives a cpu speed of 50 MHz. Only two jumpers are involved to set the machine at 50, 100 and 200 MHz. This can conveniently be done with the turbo and green switch. The 33 MHz bus helps some dos games that do fail otherwise, notably the joystick in aces of the pacific. (But this game runs well on dosbox, so it is not really an argument for the biostar). The Biostar (like all other boards here) is patched to accept 120GB HDDs. It uses an Intel FX Triton chipset, along with 256k 2nd level cache. It has four ISA slots and 3 PCI slots, none shared. It has a PS/2 mouse connector. I have 64 MB RAM (4 sticks x 16 MB) for it. That is it's cache limit and more seems rather useless. Thanks to the abundant space around the socket 7, the CPU can be passively cooled with the huge heatsink from an "arctic copper silent 2". The board shows no battery, but has an ODIN chip!

My second alternative would be the Asus TX 97-E (also AT-Form and socket 7), also patched for 120GB HDD. From my point of view, the differences are as follows:
PRO: 512k cache, faster intel TX chipset with Ultra DMA-33 (and USB), accepts my P233 MMX CPU as well as faster AMD CPUs, 4 PCI and 3 ISA, shared. Stable up to 83 MHz fsb, regular Li-Battery.
CONS: No 33 MHz fsb, so the speed range starts at 75 MHZ with Pentium-S and at 100 MHz with Pentium MMX. No room around the socket for an oversized heatsink.

The third alternative is a complete PC by Packard Bell, using an integrated Mini-ATX formfactor mainboard with super socket 7. The board itself uses the SiS 5595 along with SiS530. It comes with a K6-2 500, but can also run the 233MMX or the P200. The fsb goes only down to 66 MHz, so 100 MHz (66x1.5) is the slowest speed I can get. Cache limit is at 64 MB. 3 PCI Slots, one ISA Slot, shared! However, the onboard sound by ESS, the Solo 1, works well in native Dos. The Onboard Vga can be disabled. The Bios is minimalistic and does not allow the disabling of any cache. While many of the specs seem to speak against this one for dos, its high CPU speed makes it possible to run 3dfx games or more demanding win9x-only games on it too.

And the last alternative is a complete PC by Medion, using an integrated Mini-ATX mainboard with Slot1. The board comes with Intel ZX chipset, a P3 450, onboard TNT2 m64 and SB AudioPCI 64V (can be disabled). It has only 3 PCI slots. Though the onboard Nvidia TNT2 cannot be disabled, I was able to put in a Voodoo3 and run it using the bios option "boot from PCI first". I would also have a locked P2-233 cpu which will fall back to 133 MHz if the multiplier is set to high. So I could go as low as 133 MHz with this one. I also have a P2-350 for it. Nice thing: In Windows, I can use softfsb to switch the fsb from 66 in 8 increments to 133. Nicely, all components play along up to 133. That gives the 350 a range from 233-466 and the 450 will go from 300-600. The bios allows to disable both caches.

Now that I have told you about the mobos I have to choose from, I will brief you on the VGA options. First big point: I am using a TFT, wich requires me to adjust refresh rates and which seems to require a decent output signal. All my cards are PCI since no board has an AGP slot!

Vesa 2.0 cards: ATI 2 mb card, I have dos software to set refresh rates in all resolutions.
Vesa 3.0 cards: Viper330 4mb, 3D-Blaster Banshee (16MB), Voodoo3 2000 (16MB). All vesa 3 cards can be configured using vbehz.
And of course there are the SLI Creative Labs Voodoo2 (not so good on a TFT though).

As far as sound goes, I have less choice:
There is my favorite ISA legacy card, an ESS Audiodrive with 688 chip, only jumpers no drivers in dos. Worked with every game so far… I also picked up the later ISA ESS 1868F card with pnp, and I do have the dos configuration utility (for IRQ etc),dos drivers are not needed, I think. I do also have a PCI ESS Solo-1. My latest salvage is a huge old ISA SB 16 SCSI, which has an adaptec SCSI 6360L Chip on it. I have not inquired much into this card yet, so I can't tell how comfortable it can be configured… perhaps someone knows more?

I also intend to use a USB-2 Pci Card for backup with Ghost, so one slot needs to be considered for that one. Another slot is needed for LAN, either PCI (100) or ISA(10).

I am turning in circles. There is a valid case to be made for almost any machine, but I need to make a choice eventually. I am grateful for any PRO or CON argument you may have. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks and have a nice Xmas

Edit: Packard Bell has a shared ISA Slot, changed that in the description

Last edited by ux-3 on 2006-01-02, 11:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You've obviously done a lot of research. The first choice looks the best for the task, closely followed by the second one. The other two choices, I would skip -- too much of proprietary equipment and no ISA. Also, as you are going to use this for DOS games, you definitely want to use ISA Soundblaster. ESS may emulate SB but no card in my experience emulated it perfectly. SB16SCSI was a weird one but if you disable (or just ignore) SCSI, it's just a regular SB16. IIRC, it is completely jumper based but Creative cards always had jumpers very clearly marked.

Reply 2 of 11, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your input!
The biggest CON for the first choice is the soldered ODIN chip. Failure is only a question of time. I found a guide on how to replace the chips battery or install an external one, but I haven't done it yet...

The soundcard is the SB16 with SCSI-2, the CT1770. I found the jumper settings this afternoon. Seems as if the card needs no special software to run. I would need to know the Soundblaster environment variable and recommended settings for it though... Any clues?

Assuming I choose one of the two first candidates, what graphics card do I stick in? A Voodoo3 seems to be plain overkill as far as 3d performance goes: There is no benchmark difference between the Voodoo3 and the Banshee (using a P200).

As far as the HDD is concerned, my range starts at 6 GB, 13 GB and 40 GB. All are supported. I will also add a DVD drive to it.

merry xmas

Reply 3 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, those soldered in chips can be a pain. I used to have Dallas on my old 486. Fortunately, by the time it died it did not really matter...
95+% of games will work with SB16 without any additional software. Drivers that came with it on diskettes were pretty much a joke. Many games don't even bother about environment variables, for those that do you need only one:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6
The first four paramenters are port, IRQ, DMA, high DMA in that order. All these can be changed with jumpers on card. It is better to leave port at 220h (some games don't work with anything else). You can change IRQ from 5 to 7, it will work but it is not recommended either. DMA 1 and high DMA 5 are also standard settings. The last parameter is card type, must be T6 for SB16.

Reply 4 of 11, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said, I found an instruction on how to cut open that odin chip. I am not sure if the battery isn't dead already. Does it supply only the clock or the bios memory as well? I can live with the date and clock wrong... its a retro machine anyway so let it be retro in date too...

I have already configured the SB16 card to those settings, which I used on my ess688 too. I can just swap cards, all installed games work right away - which isn't surprising. I have been changing some games to sb16, but can't tell any difference. On my SB16, there is an empty chip socket. What goes in there?

I used to have a sbpro in the old days, followed by a sb32awe which I never was happy with. I then got a SB64AWE Gold, which caused lots of trouble in Windows, and was more noisy than it claimed, and I was never happy with that one. A year ago, I picked up a bunch of ISA cards at a local computer shop for a buck each. Among them where the ess688(jumperes only) and a SB64. After trying a few games, I decided to go for the ESS688, since it needed no configuration utilities and didn't sound any different with most retro games. But this card works as well.

I also encountered another peculiarity. When I was using a SB PCI 128, dos games would have a very strange Midi sound, very different from what I used to remember. I was pleasantly surprised with the ess solo-1, which (though pci) was producing that familiar midi sound. Thats why I took an ess solo-1 for a buck too. Two of my older machines have no ISA, so that solo-1 may come in handy.

I am still trying to make up my mind about which AT board to use. Is 50 MHz vs. 75 MHz minimum a decicive argument? Or should I go for 4 PCI slots and 233 MMX max? And what display adapter to take? The banshee delivers a good picture and has 3dfx support - but will it support the older 3dfx games? Or should I use the Riva card and have a voodoo1 or 2 in? Damn, tough decisions... 😀

Greetings
ux-3

Reply 5 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it supply only the clock or the bios memory as well?

Most likely, both.

On my SB16, there is an empty chip socket. What goes in there?

ASP upgrade. There was one version of SB16 that came with that upgrade (SB16ASP) and a few versions that did not even have the socket. The chip is rather uncommon, not supported by games (I don't know a single game that did something with it), and overall useless.

When I was using a SB PCI 128, dos games would have a very strange Midi sound, very different from what I used to remember.

If I am not mistaken, that card was a derivative from Ensoniq AudioPCI. It was emulating SB completely in software. It was not really that bad but it was not perfect. Ensoniq did not try hard to sound like Soundblaster, they had somewhat different goals. OTOH, ESS cards started off as SB clones.
I don't know answers to other questions. I had Riva128+Voodoo2 combination for a while and it worked fine. However, if you want to be prepared for everything, get something like Tseng ET4000 and keep it close, just in case you decide to play Virtual Pool one day 😉

Reply 6 of 11, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again for your reply. At least the decision for the soundcard is made. I have just recently given away my SB64 to my kids school, and I am glad that I don't have to regret it. This Sb16 is the true "plug and play" type, no installer required. And the missing chip isn't needed either! I read a lot about using a daughter board. Can I connect such a thing and if yes, what type should I seek on ebay?

I will not go back to Tseng. My TFT cannot handle that "poor" signal. And I will pass up the occasional game that needs Tseng. Had one long ago and was happier when I didn't have it any more... Thinking back, I notice that I have completely forgotten what I did with my old PCs and hardware back then...in the days before ebay.

What I will have to do is to find info about which card is going to be fastest for dos games like privater2 etc, i.e. games that are still software rendered. Adding a voodoo2 would require me to change VGA plugs 'cause the tft doesn't really like the pass through or the V2 output. It is playable, but I'd rather play on a banshee or V3. I recall though, the banshee wasn't
the hallmark of 3dfx compatibility - but it was said to be fast in dos games, wasn't it?

Well one more question in the analysis: Will I need mmx? Cause when I take my oldest board, I will have to pass up mmx as well as speeds above 200.

Have a nice day...
ux-3

Edit: Before I forget. I have read here about people who divided their HDD into 20x 2GB partitions. Would that be neccesairy? Are there really games who fail because of too much HD space? Seems so...

Edit: I just succeeded in running the k6-2 500 on the Tx97-e mainboard. That gives a span from 125 MHz to 500 MHz (at frightening 83fsb). 400 MHz would be possible with 66fsb. This is going to be a tough decision...

Reply 7 of 11, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

I read a lot about using a daughter board. Can I connect such a thing and if yes, what type should I seek on ebay?

Do you mean a wavetable upgrade card (via the 26pin header)? If so, the two most respected would be the Roland SCD-15 or the Yamaha DB50XG. Both of these offer better wavetable MIDI than any of the Creative WaveBlaster models, and they make a world of difference in the games that support General MIDI.

ux-3 wrote:

What I will have to do is to find info about which card is going to be fastest for dos games like privater2 etc, ... Adding a voodoo2 would require me to change VGA plugs 'cause the tft doesn't really like the pass through or the V2 output. ... I recall though, the banshee wasn't the hallmark of 3dfx compatibility - but it was said to be fast in dos games, wasn't it?

I use a S3 ViRGE-DX based PCI card (Diamond Stealth 2000) in my P200. Any of the latter ATi (Mach64), Trident, Cirrus Logic, and other cards will provide great 2D. VESA compatibility is the most important thing for the DOS-only games. If you're interested in keeping the V2, look for a card called the Spectra 2500 by Canopus. It was a Riva TNT card that could take the *output* of a V1/V2 and could switch between it's internal 2D and the 3dfx output... which means NO signal quality problems in 2D. Canopus called this their "WitchDoctor" technology. Check out this URL:

http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/spectra2500/index.shtml

ux-3 wrote:

Well one more question in the analysis: Will I need mmx? Cause when I take my oldest board, I will have to pass up mmx as well as speeds above 200.

Maybe someone around here has a good list of MMX-enabled games. Only some of the later DOS games and 2nd -gen Win9x games started using MMX. It just depends on which games you plan on playing. I'd say go for it since the rig you're building seems more geared towards the Win9x era.

ux-3 wrote:

Edit: Before I forget. I have read here about people who divided their HDD into 20x 2GB partitions. Would that be neccesairy? Are there really games who fail because of too much HD space? Seems so...

From version 4.0 to 6.22, MS-DOS supported a max partition size of 2GB. With Fat32 (Win95 OSR2 and beyond), FAT partition sizes could be up to 2TB (TeraBytes). So if it's important for you to dual-boot into MS-DOS, you may want to at least keep your primary parition equal to or less than 2GB. I usually don't worry about it, because Win95's "Boot into MS-DOS Mode" works good enough for most old games such that I don't need a separate 6.22 DOS dual boot.

You could do like I did, and build a Pentium like you're planning for Win9X games, and a 486 DOS machine for the DOS-only games.

Cheers, and good luck on your decision.

Reply 8 of 11, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your advice too. I am actually hoping to emulate rather than build the 486. (using dosbox) 🙄

Other than that, I still have difficulty to make up my mind. My oldest board has only one big advantage over the next one, that is fsb33 with minimum pentium speed of 50 MHz, switchable to 200MHz. That is cool, but is it decicive? The other board could be throttled down to 75 MHz, using a P54c CPU. 100 MHz using P55c and 125 MHz using a K6-2. Speed limit ist 450, (500 if I am willing to fry the components at fsb83) All other arguments are in favor of the later Board.

As far as a later win98 machine is concerned, I could either use the Packard bell or the P3 450 for that job. I was VERY amazed to find out what big a performance difference there is between a socket 7 500 MHz and a Slot1 450 MHz. The Pentium3 450 completely beats the K6-2 500. Using the _same_ Voodoo3 PCI, the K6 scored 2200 in 3Dmark99max, while the P3 got over 4000. Quite a gap. The K6-2 scores the same with a Banshee, so the V3 would be wasted on it...

It just occurs to me that I could pick up an AMD cpu that does not treat 2x as 6x, (like a 350 MHz K6-2 ?) and run that from 100 MHz up to 366 MHz. If that is still to fast, i could swap in a P54c and run that at 75 MHz (50x1.5).

Still, the concept of a clock of 33x1.5=50 is very appealing...

Greetings
ux-3

Edit: I just looked up and found two major drawbacks to the Canopus 2500 card: First, it only passes through the RGB Signal from the Voodoo. Since that is poor already, it won't get any better. I would need the card in PCI, but found neither PCI nor AGP on my national Ebay... Nice card though...

Last edited by ux-3 on 2005-12-29, 07:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 33Mhz FSB is a cool feature on that Biostar board. I'd never have thought it worked on a Pentium. Does the board drop the 1:2 divider for PCI on this setting (because 16 MHz would be way out of spec for PCI)?

My suggestion: Use the Biostar and keep the TX 97-E in case the Biostar dies 😵.

Also glad to see your TX 97-E works with the 83 MHz setting. Mine only did when I switched UDMA and CPU prefetch off 😖. Running CPUs with more than 300 Mhz doesn't make much sense on this board, unless you get a K6-III with internal L2 cache.

About the bad signal quality of the Tseng card: It strongly depends on the manufacturer, because ET4000s use an external RAMDAC. One of mine has an extraordinarily good signal (maybe they just "forgot" the output signal filter required for FCC 🤣)

Reply 10 of 11, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello and thanks for your opinion!

How do I find out, if the Biostar drops the divider? I shall try some dos analysis tools...

I can only use the 83 MHz setting with certain components. Not all hard disks accept it. Maxtor discs hate it. Even a relatively new Maxtor 40GB drive fails at this setting. Seagates older drives seem far more tolerant. 40 GB IBM works too. I don't intend to fry an "eternal solution" on 83 MHz though. After all, this machine will not get many upgrades once finished...

Funny thing that I just bought a K6-2 300 for a buck. I also figured that this should be enough. So far, they all ran at 333, which is plenty and should fall back to 100 (2x) since that won't be interpretet as 6x.

About Tseng. I have never tried a Tseng at my TFT. My last Tseng left 12 years ago. I won't bother with another (yet?). I need Vesa 2.0 support with functional VBE vendor software to adjust the card for the TFT. Or I need a Vesa 3.0 card, for which vbehz will do the job. I have all that, so I will keep a check on nostalgia here... 😉

Reply 11 of 11, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update:
I have finally decided to use the Asus TX97-E as Basis. For now, I will be running it with an Intel P233mmx. I have installed two front side switches to set the fsb either at 50 or at 75 MHz and the multiplier either at 1.5(causes 3.5) or at two. That lets me choose between 100 MHz or 266 MHz. I shall be getting an AMD K6-2 300 shortly, which would be working between 100 and 333 perhaps. I can always go back to a P200 between 75 and 200 MHz...

After having made this decision, many others where rather easy: I have installed a Diamond Viper 330 PCI, a ISA SB16 SCSI-2, and a PCI CL Voodoo². I have further added a PCI USB2.0 card for backup purposes. I am not sure yet if I stick in a 10MBit ISA or a 100 MBit PCI card - I tend to do the later. I am also not sure if I should toss out the Viper and the Voodoo² and swap in a CL Banshee card. (Changing that will be a mess due to voodoo driver cleanup).

I am currently thinking of using a 13 GB HDD. Next step is 40 GB. I figure that 13 GB should be quite sufficient for a "mainly DOS" machine.

Thanks for any feedback
Have a happy new Year,
ux-3