VOGONS

First post, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Folks,
I have an old no-name laptop with a Penitum 200 MMX and 256 MB RAM.
It's a nice littel old games box but i haven't been able to find a decent DOS driver for the soundcard.
What's the best way to figure that out?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a Linux life-cd like Knoppix.
There is a big chance that all the built-in hardware is recognized automatically on a notebook of that vintage. Then you can use included tools like lspci or simply take a look at the kernel log to find out exact hardware specs.

Reply 2 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try Everest or Craig's PCI identification tool (assuming your soundcard is PCI).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also try AIDA16 (DOS) or Dr. Hardware for DOS.

Although with integrated audio in an ancient laptop I'm not sure I'd expect any modern Linux distro to have drivers.

Does the sound card actually require sound drivers? Have you actually tried a DOS game on it, properly configured?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got all the BattleTech games to run at one point, Crescent Hawk Inception, Crescent Haw revenge etc but then it stopped. Win98 claims it's Esoniq but I don't trust it.
This is for DOS and Windows games so not sure how/why Linux would help.

Reply 5 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carrera wrote:

Win98 usually gets the information from the PCI configuration space, so it should be correct. Although there are some manufacturers (usually of cheap clone hardware), who store incorrect or incomplete PCI IDs.

Carrera wrote:

I did not mean _installing_ Linux, just booting up a LiveCD will do the job. The kernel usually is very verbose with hardware information and most LiveCDs include diagnostic tools, which could help in this case.
But it probably only would have been practical if you already had a LiveCD lying around... so just forget about it 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣. There are TONS of simple DOS progs you could whip onto a bootdisk to find out. AIDA16 is great, and I found another one in a 1 second google search. Forget linux.

If you can boot a CD, get Ultimate BootCD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
or try
http://www.hwinfo.com/

HWInfo identified everything in a 486DX4 notebook I was messing with the other day. And, almost any OS newer than Windows 95 will have drivers for a comp from the Pentium era or older. Actually I really like Windows 95C for pre-Pentium systems.