VOGONS

First post, by jiba_lucas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mans i'm very new here, so let me introduce my problem, well i have the game chasm the rift and it's impossible to play in windows xp because it crashes, so i was looking some way to play the game without crashes, so i've tried dos box, but when I start the game it runs too slow like 5 fps, the cycles are 3000 and frameskip 0, my pc is a Semprom 2400, 768mb mem ram, vídeo geforce fx 5500 256mb, hd 40gb 7200, i was reading about CS but i don't know how this can help me and i don't understand it too much, can someone explain how the CS can help to make the game runs normal? and if I need to change something in the dos box cfg?

Thanks a lot!!! 😀

Reply 1 of 1, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is CS? Compatibility settings?

Chasm came out in '97 so chances are it would be a bit slow on dosbox, *however* it will be a lot faster if you increase cycles from the default 3000. Your computer can probably do up to 10 times that.

Quick steps to make dosbox faster:

Change "core=normal" to "core=dynamic" in dosbox.conf
Increase cycles with Ctrl F12 (or change "cycles=" line in dosbox.conf)
Change frameskip with Ctrl F7/F8 (or change "frameskip=" line)

If still too slow, or core=dynamic made the game stop working, try downloading a newer beta (aka cvs) version of dosbox. Check DOSBox SVN Builds for further info and download links.