VOGONS

First post, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, i've set up windows 3.1 in a virtual drive and i was wondering, how would i get sound to work in windows? do i need to install a sound card driver? if so, which one?

also, should i get dosbox to execute autoexec.bat and config.sys? if so, how would i get it to read config.sys? or does autoexec.bat execute config.sys?

sorry if this is extremely newbish...

thanks for any help.

-jake

OldDoom.com, my Doom (1 & 2) site.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, Windows 3.1 has SB support built in so you can get sound effects. If you want MIDI your going to have to install the SB drivers. Don't have a link handy at the moment but just search google for Windows 3.1 SoundBlaster drivers.

DosBox doesn't use config.sys or autoexec.bat. (Unless your using a disk image and not the host filesystem).

If you want to use the functions of autoexec.bat you can place your commands in the "Autoexec" section in DosBox.conf.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

IIRC, Windows 3.1 has SB support built in so you can get sound effects. If you want MIDI your going to have to install the SB drivers. Don't have a link handy at the moment but just search google for Windows 3.1 SoundBlaster drivers

Every version of win 3.11 I've tried doesn't support sound at all until the soundblaster drivers are installed. Once they are, it works perfectly.